Learn how to receive payments for an invoice in QuickBooks Desktop.
When a customer pays you for an open invoice, you need to enter the payment in QuickBooks. Recording invoices is part of the Accounts Receivable workflow.
Note: Enter a sales receipt on Windows if your customer paid upfront in full or a payment item if it’s a partial payment only. .
Enter a payment from a customer
QuickBooks for Windows
- From the QuickBooks Home page or the Customers menu, select Receive Payment.
- In the Received From drop-down, select the customer's name.
- Enter the Amount received.
- Make sure the date is correct, then choose the Payment method.
- Select the invoice or invoices you'd like to pay.
- To add a discount or credit, select Discounts and Credits.
- Select Save & Close.
By default, payments are deposited to an account named Undeposited Funds. Learn more about Undeposited Funds. Or, learn how to change your default deposit to account.