Learn how to use your backup company file (.qbb) to restore your company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
If your computer crashed or you need to undo recent changes, use a backup company file to restore your accounting data. This lets you go back to one of your save points if you ever run into problems.
Restore a backup company file
When you restore, QuickBooks uses the backup company file (.qbb) to create a new company file (.qbw).
Important: If your backup company file is on an external device like a USB or a hosting service like Box, you'll need to move it to your local hard drive first. Then follow the steps.
- In QuickBooks, go to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Restore a backup copy and then Next.
- Select Local Backup and then Next.
- Browse your computer for your backup company file. It should look like this: [Your company name].qbb.
- Select a folder to decide where to save your restored company file. Then select Open.
Note: If you open the backup in the same folder as your existing company file, you may overwrite your data.
To avoid overwriting anything, you can rename your existing company file or the backup so the names are unique. Or you can save the backup in a completely separate folder.
- When you're ready, select Save. If you see any messages about possibly overwriting your data, select the option that best fits your needs. Don't overwrite anything unless you know you want to.
Now you have a new company file you can work from.