Learn how to turn on and use account numbers for your chart of accounts in QuickBooks Online.
As your business grows, so does the list of accounts you use to categorise finances. If you have an extensive chart of accounts, don't worry. You can keep your accounts organised and easy to find by assigning numbers. We’ll show you how.
Step 1: Turn on account numbers
The account numbers feature is off by default. Here’s how to turn it on.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and settings.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Select Edit ✎ in the Chart of accounts section.
- Turn on Enable account numbers. If you want account numbers to show in reports and transactions, select Show account numbers.
- Select Save and then Done.
Step 2: Assign account numbers
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Chart of accounts (Take me there).
- Select ✎ Batch edit above the Action column.
- Add account numbers in the Number column.
- Once you’re done, select Save.
To see your accounts’ numbers, go to the Chart of accounts (Take me there). Select Settings ⚙ above the Action column. Make sure Number is checked.
Now you can spend less time looking for specific accounts in Chart of Accounts or when adding transactions. Quickly find accounts using the numbers you assigned to them.
Learn more ways to organise your accounts
Here are more ways to keep your chart of accounts organised: