The name of your company file depends on what you set up when you created it. You may need to change it if:
- You misspelled or used the wrong name when you created the company file.
- Your company's name was changed and you want your company file to reflect the change.
Rename your QuickBooks Desktop company file
- Back up your QuickBooks company file.
- In QuickBooks, check the location of the company file.
- While on the Home page, press F2 or Ctrl+1 to open the Product Information window.
- Note the location listed in the File Information field.
- Go to the location specified.
- Right-click the Windows Start button and select File Explorer .
- Right-click the file and select Rename. The file name may appear as [CompanyName].qbw or just [CompanyName].
- Change the file name and press Enter.
- Select Yes to confirm the action.
Set up QuickBooks Desktop to use the new company file name
- From the QuickBooks File menu, select Open or restore an existing company.
- Select Open a company file and click Next.
- Select the newly renamed company file and click Open.
Note: If you are in a multi-user environment, you need to open the renamed company file on all workstations.