When invoice/sales forms are created, Intuit assigns the transaction number automatically to them. Transaction numbers helps you easily identify transactions. If you prefer to use your own numbering system, you can turn on 'Custom Transaction Numbers', this lets you customise your invoice and sales numbers.
NOTE: You cannot control the numbers that identify Statements or Purchase Orders. A separate number sequence appears on:
- Invoices, sales receipts, refund receipts, and credit notes
- Charges and credits
To turn custom transaction numbers on or off:
- Click the Gear icon > Account and Settings or Company Settings if you are using the Accountant module.
- For customer numbers on sales forms:
- Click Sales on the left, and then select the edit icon for Sales form content.
- Select the Custom transaction numbers checkbox, and then click Save.
Change invoice or sales numbers:
- Select + New.
- Select Invoice or any forms you require.
- Fill in the invoice.
- Click on 'Invoice no.' field on the right and change the number to your preferred number.
- Click Save.
To reset your transaction numbers:
- Select the Custom transaction numbers checkbox, and click Save
- Create a transaction with a new starting number.
- Clear the Custom transaction numbers checkbox, and click Save