Learn to find QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files to help you determine the cause of certain errors in your QuickBooks Desktop company file.
QuickBooks Desktop logs program messages and errors, including information created by Verify, Rebuild, and Condense Data utilities, in QBWin.log.
Note: Errors like "IsQBInUseLockFilePresentAndLocked...LCK can't be found. Error = 2" in QBWin.log is not a sign of data damage and should not be considered as one when troubleshooting data damage.
Each QuickBooks version has its own QBWin.log. Every time you start QuickBooks, it renames the old QBWin.log file and creates a new one.
Access QBWin.log on Hosted Environment
For QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier users:
- From the Start menu of your Hosted or Terminal environment, select Computer.
- On the search menu, type QBWin.log. Do not press Enter or click the magnifying glass icon.
- A list of QBWin.logs will populate. Look for the QBWin.log that has the latest timestamp.
For QuickBooks Enterprise Solution users:
- On the QuickBooks Home page, press F2 or Ctrl+1 to open the Product Information window.
- Press F3 or Ctrl+2 to open the Tech Help window.
- Select Open File tab.
- Select QBWin.log, then Open File.