Learn how to set up workflows to send reminders to your customers or your team.
In QuickBooks Online Advanced, you can use workflows to send reminders to the right people at the right time. With workflows, you can automate common tasks in QuickBooks like sending payment reminders to customers. You can also send reminders to your team to complete specific tasks, like reviewing open invoices.
You set the conditions to tell QuickBooks when to send reminders and to whom. Whenever the conditions are met, we’ll send out a reminder. Here’s how to create a new workflow for your customers or team. We'll also show you some examples of how you can use workflows.
Learn about workflow types
Some workflows automatically send reminders to customers so you don't have to. Others send reminders to your team to take action on a task.
You can have multiple workflows of the same type working at once. For example, you can have multiple Payment received workflows for different sets of customers.
Here are some common uses for workflows:
Step 1: Create a new workflow
When you create a new workflow, you can use a QuickBooks workflow template. Or learn how to create your own custom workflow.
To create workflows from QuickBooks templates:
- Select the Workflows menu. Or, select Settings ⚙ and then Manage workflows.
- Select the Templates tab.
- Find the template you want to use, and select Create.
- Give the workflow a name, or use the default name.
- In the Conditions section, select the conditions. This determines what activates reminders. Note: You can set multiple conditions for some workflows. To add more, select Add another condition. All conditions need to be met to start the workflow.
- In the How would you like this action to happen? section, select the actions QuickBooks will take when the conditions are met. This determines what happens after the template activates.
- Select the Send email checkbox to send the reminders as emails. On some workflows, you can also select the Send a push notification checkbox to send a push notification to a user through the QuickBooks Online Mobile App.
- Edit the message in the Subject and Message body sections as needed.
- The highlighted fields are variables. The variables populate the reminder message with your company or the customer info. To change the variable, enter #, then select the variable you want to use like supplier, name, due date, or amount. Note: Erasing or overwriting the highlighted fields will affect all reminders.
- When you're done, select Save and enable to turn on your workflow.
Here are some examples of workflows you can use for your customers or team and how to set them up:
Step 2: Review your team's active tasks
If a workflow notifies one of your team members to review or approve work, QuickBooks creates a task.
Go to the Task menu at any time to see what work still needs to get done. Follow these steps to review open tasks.
Step 3: Manage your workflows
If you want to edit, turn off, or delete a workflow:
- Select the Workflows menu.
- Select the My Workflows tab.
- Select the Actions ▼ dropdown. Then select an option.