Learn how to automatically or manually send reminders to customers when their invoices are or soon to be overdue.
There's an easy way to gently remind customers about invoice due dates. In QuickBooks Online, you can set up automatic reminders that go out a few days before or after the due date. No need to track the dates yourself or worry about sending too many reminders. And you can personalise the email message so it matches your business.
Or, if you want to send an invoice reminder to a customer manually, we'll show you how to do that too.
Set up automatic invoice reminders
See who got a reminder
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and settings.
- Select the Sales tab.
- In the Reminders section, select Edit ✏️.
- Turn on Auto invoice reminders.
- Select the dropdown for Reminder 1, and turn on the toggle switch.
- From the dropdown fields, select days, and before or after to tell QuickBooks when to send the reminder. Note: You can schedule and send email reminders up to 10 days before or after the invoice due date.
- Select Create reminder to create second and third reminders as needed.
Now that you’ve turned on reminders, you can edit your reminder message. Note: You can customise the email template of each reminder to match the date settings you chose.
- In the Subject line field, edit the subject line as needed. Tip: We recommend you keep "reminder" in the subject.
- Select the Use greeting checkbox to personalise your greeting. Select a greeting from the dropdowns.
- In the Email message field, clear the message text and craft your own. Or you can use the default message.
- If you want to get a confirmation when reminders go out, select the Email me a copy checkbox.
- When you're done, select Save and then Done.
QuickBooks checks the due dates on your invoices a few times a day. If any meet your criteria, it automatically sends reminders. You can't exclude specific customers.
QuickBooks uses this as a template for all invoice reminders. When you create an invoice, the due date on the form starts the clock. Make sure you include an email address in the Customer email field on invoices.
|Tip: Want reminders to include PDF copies of invoices? Go back to the Sales tab in Account and settings. Select Edit ✏️ icon in the Online delivery section. Select the PDF Attached checkbox, then Save.|
If you want to see which customers got reminders, go to Bookkeeping, select Transactions, then select All Sales (Take me there). QuickBooks adds "(Reminded)" to invoices in the Status column after it sends a reminder.
Send invoice reminders manually
Instead of automatic reminders, you can also send them manually.
- Go to Get paid & pay and select Invoices (Take me there).
- Find and select the invoice you'd like to send a reminder for.
- From the Batch actions dropdown, select Send reminder.
- Customise your message and select Send.