Learn what to do if your client wants to become the primary admin for their company file.
When a client invites you to be their accountant, or you start a company file for them, you can also become their primary admin. This lets you handle admin tasks like permissions and data management for them.
If your client wants to become the primary admin for their company file, you can transfer the role. Here's how to transfer primary admin access back to them.
Or, learn more about user roles in QuickBooks Online.
Note: To transfer the primary admin role to your client, you must also be their lead accountant.
Transfer the primary admin role to your client
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online Accountant as the primary admin for your client's company.
- If you're on the One Intuit Account Manager page, then follow the steps below:
- Select Products & billing, then select your QuickBooks accountant subscription.
- Select Go to QuickBooks to open your company and select Continue.
- If you're not on the One Intuit Account Manager page, simply select the Go To QuickBooks dropdown.
- Select and open your client's QuickBooks Online company. Tip: You can also go to the Clients menu, find your client, and select the QuickBooks icon next to their name.
When you're in your client's QuickBooks Online company:
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Manage users.
- Find your client on the list.
- Select the ▼ dropdown in the Action column and then Make primary admin.
- Follow the on-screen steps to approve the transfer.
This emails your client a link. Ask them to open the link and accept the primary admin role.
Transfer the primary admin role to another accountant on your team
Need to transfer the primary admin role for a client's company to another accountant on your team? No problem. Follow these steps to Set up or change lead accountants in QuickBooks Online Accountant.