Businesses that qualify for Small Employers' Relief may be able to claim back 100% of the value of statutory payments (excluding sick pay) made to employees, and a further 3% of the value as 'compensation' relief from HMRC. We'll show you how to set this up in QuickBooks.
Not sure if you qualify for SER? Read this HMRC guide. If you aren't classified as a small employer, don't worry, you may still be able to reclaim 92% relief.
Set up SER in Standard Payroll
- Select the Gear icon, and then Account and settings.
- Select the Payroll tab.
- Select the pencil icon next to Employers NI relief.
- Select Yes, I qualify if your business qualifies for SER and we'll let HMRC know. We won’t adjust your NI liabilities though – we’ll let you decide how to apply your credit. You'll be prompted to submit an EPS filing after you run payroll, and submit your FPS filing for your first P32 Employer Payment Record.
- If you paid any Statutory Maternity or Paternity Pay between 6 April and the day you started using QuickBooks Online Payroll, select Yes.
- Enter the recovery and compensation amount.
- Save your changes and select Done.