A payslip is generated for each employee every time you run payroll. You must give your employees a payslip on or before their pay date. Payslips must show the employees’ earnings before and after deductions, taxes and other contributions.
You have the option to print and post the payslips to your employees or email their payslip to them. You need to give your employees their payslips on or before the date you pay them.
You can safely send payslips to your employees via email. For security reasons, payslips are password-protected when emailed. Make sure you let your employees know that they will need to enter their unique password to open the document. The password is eight characters, and made up of the following.
- First 4 letters of the employee’s surname (lowercase). If it's shorter than 4 letters use the complete surname.
- First 4 characters of the NI number (lowercase). If the NI number is not there, then the employee’s birth year is used instead.
If the employee’s surname is Smith and their NI number is AB234455C, then their password would be smitab23. For surnames less than 4 letters, for example their surname is Or and their NI number is AB345678C, the their password would be orab34.
Note: If the password doesn't work for an employee, double check that their surname and NI number and correctly set up in the employee's settings.
View, email and print payslips after running payroll
You can view all the payslips after you run payroll, or you can view all the payslips for any employee at a later time.
- Review and run your payroll.
- On the Payroll created page, select Go to payslips.
- Select the employee whose payslip you want to view. This will open the payslip details.
- If you want to email the payslip to the employee, select Email Payslip. Make sure that all the listed employees have an email address, you can add it in employee's setting.
- If you wish to print the payslip to give to the employee, select Download Payslip to download the payslips to your computer and choose your print settings, then select Print.
To see the employee’s payslip history
- Go to Employees or Payroll menu.
- From the list of employees, select the employee whose payslip you want to view.
- Select Payslips to view all the payslips for the employee.
You can see the Pay date, Pay period and Net pay at a glance.
- Select a payslip and it will open a card on the right hand side.
- Select Email Payslip if you want to send or resend the payslip. Make sure that all the listed employees have an email address, you can add it in employee's setting.
- Select Download Payslip if you want to print the payslip or download it to your computer.
Save time with QuickBooks Workforce
Save time on employee admin and invite your employees to QuickBooks Workforce via email so they can create an account.