QuickBooks HelpQuickBooksHelpIntuit

National Insurance contribution rates for QuickBooks Self-Employed

SOLVEDby QuickBooks9Updated over 1 year ago

If you are self-employed, you will need to make National Insurance contributions on your profits when you earn above a certain amount. It's important to stay on top of all your tax records to work out how much you need to pay.

You usually pay 2 types of National Insurance. These are:

  • Class 2 if your profits are £6,725 or more a year
  • Class 4 if your profits are £11,909 or more a year

To work out your profits, you'll need to deduct your expenses from your self-employed income.

You can pay your Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance through your Self Assessment tax return.

Read the HMRC guidance for more information. You can see National Insurance rates for the past tax years here.

Note: You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when you become self-employed as a sole trader or partnership. Your National Insurance contribution is reflected on your Self-Assessment Summary.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
QuickBooks Self-Employed

Sign in now for personalized help

See articles customized for your product and join our large community of QuickBooks users.

More like this