A mismatch between your item history and certain items on orders can occur if the ItemHistUpdateEngine fails to update the item information. The message A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing appears while backing up your file and your QBWin.log shows the following error after verifying data:
LVL_ERROR--Error: Verify item history Target quantity on order mismatch error
Rebuilding the company file alone can resolve the issue, but editing the items specified in the log may be necessary.
Solution 1: Rebuild and verify
Reminder: Before you begin to rebuild and verify your file, make sure it is saved locally in your computer.
- Rebuild data
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities > Rebuild Data.
- When prompted to back up the file, select OK.
- Once Rebuild has completed appears, select OK.
- Verify data
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities > Verify Data.
- When QuickBooks detected no problem with your data appears, select OK. You can now continue using the file.
- If after verifying, QuickBooks detected the same problem, perform the next solution.
For detailed instruction on rebuilding and verifying your file, see Resolve data damage on your company file.
Solution 2: Manually edit transaction shown in QBWIN.log
- Open the QBWin.log.
- While QuickBooks is open, press F2 to open the Product Information window.
- Press F3 to open the Tech Help window, then go to the Open File tab.
- Under the Open File tab, look for QBWIN.log, then select Open.
- Identify the damaged item/s through the QBWin.log.
- Once the QBWin.log is open, press Ctrl+F to bring up the Find window.
- Type the error, then press Enter.
- Take note of the order, item, and quantity specified.
- Recreate the damaged item.
- Back in QuickBooks, open the order specified in the log.
- Delete the item (not the entire order) shown in the log, then select Save & Close.
- Return to the order and reenter the deleted item and its quantity. Select Save & Close.
- Verify your file again.