Learn how to write and enter cheques.
Writing and recording cheques for your expenses keeps your current account organised in QuickBooks. If you make a purchase with a hand-written cheque or you want to print a new cheque, you need to enter a cheque in QuickBooks. This ensures your accounts are up-to-date, and all of your business transactions are accounted for. Here's how to record and print a cheque.
Tip: Learn more about the difference between bills, cheques, and expenses if you’re not sure which you need to use.
How to record or create a cheque
Follow these steps to record a hand-written cheque in QuickBooks. You can also follow these steps to create and print a brand new cheque:
- Select + New.
- Select Cheque.
- Choose the Payee from the dropdown ▼.
- From the Bank account dropdown ▼, select the account the cheque withdraws money from.
- Complete the cheque fields you need.
- Select the Print option.
- Select Save and close to close the cheque window. Or Save and new if you need to create another cheque. Note: If you choose a save option, this adds the cheque to your bank register.
Note: If you make a mistake, here’s how to void a cheque you already created.
How to print your cheque
If you're just recording a hand-written cheque, once you save your cheque, you're all done. Everything is in QuickBooks.
If you selected the Print option, your cheque is ready to print.
Note: You can use your own checks to print, but they need to be formatted for QuickBooks.
|Tip: If you have a lot of cheques to write, it is easier to either enter them from the Account history, or download transactions directly from the bank.|
Unable to edit cheque box
If you see 'To print' in the Cheque no. box when creating new cheques and you're unable to edit it, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the chart of accounts list.
- Find the bank account the transaction will come from and select Account history.
- In the date column, select Add cheque from the dropdown menu.
- Create the next cheque with the correct number needed in the REF NO. box.
- Select Save.
This will create a new cheque transaction and enable you to edit the Cheque. no box on new cheques.