Learn how to connect an existing QuickBooks Payments account to QuickBooks Online so customers can pay for their invoices over the web.
Want your customers to be able to pay for their invoices instantly in QuickBooks Online? Sign up directly from QuickBooks Online. If you're approved and signed up in the product, your QuickBooks Payment and QuickBooks Online accounts connect automatically.
If you already have a QuickBooks Payments account but haven't connected it to QuickBooks Online, you can connect it later on. Follow these steps to connect your accounts.
Step 1: Get ready to connect
- Refund any open transactions before you connect your accounts. You won't be able to refund transactions created before the date you connect your payments account.
- If you set up recurring payments in Merchant Services, you need to delete them. Sign in to Merchant Services and disable any recurring payments before you start.
|Important: If you use QuickBooks GoPayments (our QuickBooks mobile payments app), your settings will reset to the defaults. QuickBooks also removes your transaction history and receipt customisations. Don't worry, your transaction history will still be in your Merchant Service account.
QuickBooks also replaces the items and descriptions in the app with the ones you have in QuickBooks Online. This keeps everything consistent.
If you have multiple users in GoPayments, QuickBooks may remove their IDs. Learn more about user limits in QuickBooks Online.
Step 2: Connect your Payments account to QuickBooks Online
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online as an admin.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and then Account and Settings.
- Select the Payments tab. In the Existing account section, select Connect or Link Merchant Service.
- In the window, select the QuickBooks Payment account you want to connect. Then select Connect.
- Review the account info and make sure it's accurate. If everything looks good, select Connect.
- When the connection is finished, sign out and sign back into QuickBooks Online.
|Note: When you connect your account, QuickBooks removes the user IDs currently tied to your QuickBooks Payments account. It replaces them with your QuickBooks Online user IDs. You don't need to do anything, we take care of this for you.|
Update your payments apps your payment account
If you use shopping cart, webstore, or third-party processing apps with your Payments account, you'll need to reconnect them. Go to the QuickBooks App page, find the apps, and learn how to connect them to QuickBooks Online. The steps for reconnecting vary from app to app.
Step 3: Change your payment account
You can keep using the same account you've always used to collect customer payments. If you need to, here's how to change the account.
Step 4: Add payment options to invoices
Now that everything is connected, your customers can pay for their invoices online with a credit card, debit card, and ACH bank transfer. QuickBooks automatically adds payment options to invoices. Each time you create a new invoice, go to the Online payments section. Select the checkbox for the payment options you want to make available to customers.
The first payment you accept may take up to five days to process while we verify your accounts. Going forward, your customer payments process much faster, usually on the same day.