QBregistration.dat is QuickBooks Desktop installation file containing license information that is retrieved and validated every time QuickBooks Desktop is activated. If this file is damaged, QuickBooks Desktop will not open and you will need to recreate qbregistration.dat as part of troubleshooting.
Locate your license and product numbersLog into My Account to view the license numbers of all your QuickBooks products, or you can try the following:
- For a downloaded product purchased online or from a sales agent, look in the purchase confirmation email you received from Intuit.
- If you purchased QuickBooks on a CD, look for the a brightly coloured sticker on the original CD envelope.
(ProAdvisors: This tool will not work for licenses included in your ProAdvisor software package, but it will work for copies of QuickBooks you ordered separately.)
If you haven't registered your product, contact us for support.
Make sure you have the required proof of purchase
- If you purchased QuickBooks or Point of Sale directly from Intuit, give the Order Number from your Intuit delivery note to the Intuit customer service representative when you call. You can look up your Intuit order number from the Order Status page.
- If you purchased QuickBooks or Point of Sale from a local retailer, send your proof of purchase information to QBG-CSGroup@intuit.com before you call customer service. Include your company name, contact information, and the following information:
- Store sales receipt or invoice
- Box bottom where the UPC bar code appears
- CD holder where the license number should appear
- The front of the actual program CD
Create the qbregistration.dat file
- Browse to the QuickBooks folder where qbregistration.dat should be located.Location: C:\ProgramData\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooksQuick tip: Display hidden files and folders if you do not see the folders listed.
- If qbregistration.dat already exists, rename it to qbregistration.old.
- Open a Notepad.
- On your keyboard, press Windows+R top open the Run command.
- Enter notepad in the Open field, then click OK.
- Copy the following text into the Notepad.Note: The bold red text will appear as regular text in Notepad.
<?xml version="1.0"?><QBREG><QUICKBOOKSREGISTRATION><VERSION number="xx.x"><FLAVOUR name="version"><VersionNumber></VersionNumber><InstallNumber></InstallNumber><SerialNumber></SerialNumber><RegistrationNumber></RegistrationNumber><LA>YES</LA><InstallID>000-000</InstallID><LicenseNumber>0000-0000-0000-000</LicenseNumber><QBMode1></QBMode1><QBMode2></QBMode2><QBMode>000073adbf3f</QBMode><ActivatedProduct></ActivatedProduct><NFVN></NFVN><NFLN></NFLN><NFID></NFID></FLAVOUR></VERSION></QUICKBOOKSREGISTRATION></QBREG>
- After pasting the text into Notepad, replace the bold red items accordingly:xx.x
- Replace with 28.0 if you have QuickBooks Desktop 2018
- Replace with 27.0 if you have QuickBooks Desktop 2017
- Replace with 26.0 if you have QuickBooks Desktop 2016
- Replace with pro if you have QuickBooks Pro.
- Replace with superpro if you have QuickBooks Premier (not Accountant Edition).
- Replace with accountant if you have QuickBooks Premier Accountant Edition.
- Replace with bel if you have QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions (not Accountant Edition).
- Replace with belacct if you have QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Accountant Edition.
- Replace with your QuickBooks installation product number.
- Replace with your QuickBooks license number.
FOR MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF QUICKBOOKS INSTALLED ON ONE COMPUTER, include an additional copy of the italicised text (from) in qbregistration.dat file. This copy should be pasted after </VERSION>. You will need to replace the boldface items in the new section with the appropriate values corresponding to each unique version of QuickBooks.
- Save the file with the name qbregistration.dat.
- On the File menu, select Save.
- In the Save as type list, select All Files.
- Choose the same directory specified in step 1 (C:\ProgramData\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks).