Learn how to find transactions in your account registers so you can review or edit them.
Need to double-check your work? You can review and make quick edits to transactions directly from an account register. Account registers also have filter and sorting tools that help speed up your search.
Here's how to quickly find and edit transactions in your account register.
Step1: Find a transaction
There are a few ways to find what you're looking for.
You can apply multiple filters to find transactions.
- Go to the Accounting menu and select Chart of Accounts.
- Find and select the register you want to view. If it’s your first time using QuickBooks, select See your Chart of Accounts first.
- In the Actions column, select Account history.
- Select the Filter icon. Then select the filters you want you to apply. You can also use the Find field to search by amount, reference number, or memo.
- Select Apply.
Note: When a filter is on, you’ll see a description next to the filter icon. To remove the filter, select the X in the filter description.
You can also sort and order lists by date, reference number, type, type of payment, or reconcile status. By default, your most recent transactions appear at the top.
- Hover over a column header. Select the ▲ or ▼ icon to order the transactions based on the header.
- Select the header again to change the order.
Hide columns and change the view
If you want to hide a column, select the Settings ⚙ at the top of the register. Select and uncheck the boxes to hide them in the register.
You can also select Paper Ledger Mode if you want your register to look like a regular chequebook.
Note: Do you see “NA” in the Balance column? When you sort the register by date, the balance column shows a number. If you sort by any other column, the Balance column displays as N/A.
Step 2: Edit a transaction
- Find and select the transaction in the account register to expand the view.
- Make changes in the available fields.
- If you want to change something in the greyed-out sections, select Edit. This opens the full transaction form where you can make additional changes.
- When you're ready, select Save.
*Some registers (such as Accounts Receivable or Accounts Payable) can't be edited directly in the register. You need to select the transaction to open the full form and then make edits.
To sort transactions by the values in a column in the account history:
- Hover over any column header. If a Sort icon (▲ or ▼) appears, you can sort the transactions by the value in that column.
- Select any sortable column header to sort the account history by that value. Note: If you sort by any column other than Date or Reconciliation status, the Balance column automatically turns off.
- To switch between ascending or descending order within a column, select the column header.