This article provides detailed information on QuickBooks Desktop hosting. If you would prefer how-to help, we recommend these articles:
- Setting Up a Network or Multi-User Environment
- Error H101, H202, H303, or H505 when opening your company file to resolve multi-user issues
The term hosting is used to describe the situation where the computer that is storing a company file (the host) allows other computers to access the file.
QuickBooks uses a service to manage company file access:
- QuickBooks 2019 uses QuickBooksDB29
- QuickBooks 2018 uses QuickBooksDB28
- QuickBooks 2017 uses QuickBooksDB27
In Windows Control Panel, you can find this service in User Accounts, under Users for this computer. Look for the service that corresponds to your version of QuickBooks Desktop.
The following diagrams illustrate QuickBooks Desktop hosting modes.