If you have been using HMRC Basic Tools to run your payroll, you can now import your employees into QuickBooks Online Payroll.
First, you need to export your data from HMRC Basic Tools
- Click Settings in the top right hand side
- Scroll to the bottom to locate Data Export
- Click Export
Please remember where this .XML file is saved as this is the file you need to upload to QuickBooks Online Payroll
To import your employees after turning on QuickBooks Online Payroll:
- Go to the Employees or Payroll menu, and click on Let's go.
- Select I'm already paying people.
- An option will appear for Did you previously use HMRC Basic Tools? Select Click here.
- Click on Import to select the .xml file you have downloaded from Basic Tools, then click import.
- On the next page, click Finish company setup.
- You will now be asked to confirm your pay schedule and set up your pension. For more information, see Get set up for QuickBooks Online Payroll.
- On the last page, click Done to go through to the employee list.
- Click on each employee to complete all of the required details for them.
Once you have verified all employees, you will be able to start running payroll in QuickBooks Online Payroll.