Prepare your MTD VAT submission
- Sign up for MTD directly with HMRC.
- If you pay HMRC by direct debit then you must sign up at least 7 working days before or 5 working days after your return is due.
- Make sure your last direct debit has come out of your bank account before you sign up.
- If you do not pay by direct debit you must sign up at least 72 hours before your return is due.
- You must wait for confirmation from HMRC after you sign up to MTD. Do not attempt to authorise QuickBooks Online or submit a VAT return without the email confirmation from HMRC.
- If you haven't received the email from HMRC please check your spam folder and look for emails from firstname.lastname@example.org If you have not had a response and it has been more than 72 hours since you signed up please contact HMRC.
- Learn more after signing up here on the HMRC website.
Complete your MTD VAT submission
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company.
- Confirm that the VAT number is correct and valid. Do not use any letters, spaces, or special characters.
- Confirm that the start of the current VAT return is correct.
- Confirm that you have the right filing frequency. It should be monthly, quarterly, or annual.
- Before you can submit any VAT returns you must authorise QuickBooks to interact with HMRC