Perform the following if you need to access your QuickBooks Desktop company file from a host or server computer:
Before you can access your company file over the network, you are required to:
Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the remote computer
The QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a utility that allows you to configure the QuickBooks Server for multi-user access.
- Download & Install QuickBooks Desktop on the main computer.
- From the QuickBooks File menu, select Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- Select Yes in the Multi-user hosting setup required window.Note: QuickBooks Desktop installs and runs QBDBMgrN.exe as a background service. This service must be running on the computer storing the company file even if QuickBooks Desktop is not open.
- Select OK on the Multi-user setup information window.
- Add the necessary users by going to Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Set Up Users > Add User.
Optional: Turn Network Discovery On and Password Protected Sharing Off
The server needs to have Network Discovery turned on and is visible to try opening the file using a UNC path. In addition, Windows will ask for a network password if Password Protected Sharing is turned on. If this happens, you can either log in using the network password or turn off the feature.
Do this process on Server or Host computer and all the workstations that need to access the file over the network.
- Open Control Panel.
- Choose Network Sharing Centre, then select Change advanced sharing settings.
- Expand the Profile type that you are currently using.
- Under Network Discovery, select Turn on network discovery.
- Under Password protected sharing, select Turn off password protected sharing.
- Select Save changes.
Locate then open the company file
- From the File menu, select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Open a company file, then Next.
- Browse the location of the company file.Example: if your company file is mapped to drive E, look for Company Files Name (E:) in the list.
- Select the company file (with file extension .qbw) from the list and select Open.
- If prompted, enter your user name and password.