Auto Enrolment (AE) Reporting, which is also called Payroll and Pension Data Interface Standard (PAPDIS), is a free and open data standard. Data integration experts of Pensions-BIB, a special committee for Payroll and Pension created PAPDIS. PAPDIS is a single-export file, designed to carry Worker Assessment and Contributions from QuickBooks Payroll to the Pension Providers at the end of every employer payroll period.
QuickBooks creates PAPDIS export file in CSV format and employer can upload or email this information to the Pension Providers’ portal. You must check if your Pension Provider is equipped to accept PAPDIS files. If they do not accept, you can populate their files online with the PAPDIS information.Advantages of PAPDIS
The following are the advantages of using PAPDIS:
- PAPDIS format is currently acceptable by a few Pension Providers directly but there are several companies who will act as a “translator” to introduce the PAPDIS format to other Pension Providers.
- PAPDIS gives you all the information your Pension Provider requires, although not necessarily in the same file format that they accept. You may need to manually enter the data into their format.
- The more customers ask for PAPDIS to be supported the more Pension Providers will accept the format.
PAPDIS FieldsPAPDIS version 1.0 includes the fields required by majority of Pension Providers. Except for the Event Code field, all the mandatory fields for PAPDIS standard are automatically populated by QuickBooks. QuickBooks currently does not support the Event Code field, which is also a mandatory field and therefore you must enter the information for the Event Code field manually.
This table provides a quick reference to the field information that QuickBooks provides to Pension Providers.
Why PAPDIS Review and Edit ToolWhen you create a PAPDIS file (.csv) and open it using Microsoft Excel, there is a possibility of Microsoft Excel reformatting the data in the .csv file that you save. Such file is not acceptable to the recipient of the file. To address this, Intuit has developed a tool, PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool (also called as PAPDIS Editor), which retains the formatting of the PAPDIS Export .csv data. The tool can also be used for reviewing, editing, and formatting PAPDIS data. Before submitting the PAPDIS file, you can edit and save the changes.
Advantages of PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool
The following are the advantages of using PAPDIS Editor:
- The PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool helps you to complete the file in terms of adding or amending certain data fields. For example, currently QuickBooks does not include all the functional reporting requirements of PAPDIS. Thus, using the PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool, you can update the required information in the PAPDIS files before submitting the files to Pension Providers.
- The PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool allows editing of certain fields to maintain the integrity of the data in the file. If you open a PAPDIS file in Microsoft Excel, the data is likely to be amended. For example, date format does not display in the correct YYYY-MM-DD date format.
- A pension provider requires the Event Code information to process their pensions. However, QuickBooks Desktop does not support Event Code which is a mandatory field for PAPDIS standard. The PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool enables you to update this information in your PAPDIS file. When you open a PAPDIS file in the PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool, the Event Code column is highlighted to indicate that the Event Code information is not available, which encourages you to provide the information.
This table describes the fields that you can edit.
Matrix InformationUse the following matrix to complete fields, Assessment Code and Event Code. Use these two fields so that the Pension Provider understands the status of the employee.
- For Assessment Code (Field 29) go to Employee Pension Tab and enter the Pension Event Employee Status. For example, Entitled Worker = 3.
- For Event Code (Field 30) enter the type of event. For example, an eligible job holder (Assessment code 1) is auto enrolled Event Code = 1)
- Confirm with your Pension Provider and ensure you both use the Matrix in the same manner.
This table provides matrix information for Assessment and Event Type.
Installing PAPDIS Review and Edit ToolSystem and Software Requirements
QuickBooks Desktop must be installed on your computer and the tool supports the following versions of Microsoft Windows:
- Windows 7 SP1, 8.1 Update 1 (32- and 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2003 SP2 (32- and 64-bit),
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, 2012 R2
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 (64-bit)
- Windows 10
Installing PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool
- Download PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool
- Double-click the PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool executable and the Intuit Software End User License Agreement window opens.
- Read the agreement carefully and click Yes, if you agree with all the terms and conditions. If you click Yes, the PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool opens.
Important: The PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool executable is a self-extracting executable and on clicking Yes on the license agreement window, the tool opens and resides in a temporary folder. When you close the tool, the temporary folder gets deleted. Therefore, every time you want to open the tool, follow the steps 1 to 3.
Upgrading to a new version of the toolWhen you open the PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool, and if a new version of the tool is available for download, a message is displayed to encourage you to download the latest version. The message also contains a link to download the latest version of the tool.
To upgrade the tool
- Follow the steps 1 to 3 of Installing the PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool. If a new version of the tool is available, a message is displayed with the link to download the new version.
- Click the link in the message and download the latest version of the tool.
- Use the downloaded version and discard the old version.
Open and Edit a PAPDIS file using PAPDIS Review and Edit ToolWithin the tool, click Open and browse to the .CSV file (exported from QuickBooks Desktop) that you want to edit and double-click it to open in the tool. The file opens in a tabular format with all the information displayed under the respective columns.
Note: You can edit only the columns that are not greyed out read-only columns.
To edit a field in a column, double-click the field or select the field and press F2on your keyboard. The field becomes editable and there are three types of fields you can edit:
- Text: Edit the text within the field.
- Date: Use the calendar icon to set the date.
- Code: When you select this field for editing, a list of code values with description is displayed. Type the appropriate code (number) in the field.
After editing the information, click outside the cell. If the information you entered is wrong, the field is highlighted with a red border indicating that you must correct the information to proceed. Unless you correct the information, you cannot edit any other field.To save changes click Save. If you save a file that has errors, a confirmatory message is generated with options to save the file or not.If you click Yes on the message, the tool saves the file with the error, if you clickNo, the changes are not saved. If you click Close on the menu, the same warming message is displayed.
Note: This tool should be used only in conjunction with QuickBooks and exclusively for reviewing the .csv files generated through QuickBooks. If you open a .csv file generated outside QuickBooks, the PAPDIS Review and Edit Tool may support the file but Intuit does not guarantee that the tool will work as expected. Intuit also recommends use of PAPDIS files with rows up to 400, although the tool may work as expected with files more than 400 rows. Intuit has tested the tool for PAPDIS files with rows up to 2500.
Finally, you may want or need to delete a row in a PAPDIS file:
- Right-click any field of the row you want to delete.
- Click Delete Row on the right-click menu. A warning message is displayed to confirm the deletion.
- Click OK on the message. The selected row is deleted.