This article provides steps to resolve the following error displayed in the QBWin.log when Verify Data utility fails:
LVL_ERROR-error: Verify Account List Item ###: View out of sequence. Verify Account List Item XXXX: Invalid sublevel X, validrange is X to X.
The error is due to damage in the Chart of Accounts which causes certain accounts to appear in incorrect sequence. You can resolve this by rebuilding the file or manually editing the accounts.
Solution 1: Rebuild and verify your file
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities > Rebuild Data.
- When prompted to back up the file, select OK.
- Once the message Rebuild has completed appears, select OK.
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities > Verify Data.
- When you see the message QuickBooks detected no problem with your data, select OK. If QuickBooks detected the same problem after verifying, perform the next solution.
Solution 2: Re-sort List
- Go to the Lists menu, then select Chart of Accounts.
- From the Account drop-down on the bottom-left, choose Re-sort List.
- When the prompt appears, select Yes. This will re-sort your accounts to their original order.
- Check if all of the main account types are grouped correctly (i.e., all the income accounts are listed consecutively, etc.).
- If the account types are not grouped correctly (e.g., Other Current Asset appears as a subaccount of an Income account) or subaccounts appear as main accounts, proceed to the next solution to manually fix the accounts.
Solution 3: Fix the damaged accounts manually
- To fix the accounts, right-click the account name then choose Edit Account.
- Check the Subaccount of checkbox to revert a subaccount to a main account or to make a main account a subaccount.
- If the Subaccount of box is marked, from the drop-down next to the checkbox, choose the correct account type. Select OK.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 for all affected accounts.
- Rebuild and verify your data again to ensure the damage is fixed.