Have you reported an issue to QuickBooks support that requires your company file to be sent to the Data Services team for resolution? See below for important information about the Data Services team, how to contact them, and how to check the status of our case.
Note: The instructions, link to upload your backup file, actions, and login information are all in the Welcome Email you received. The subject line will include your case number and the sender will be firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I contact QuickBooks Data Services?
The QuickBooks Data Services team operates independently from the QuickBooks Support group you're used to working with. Here's a quick run through.
- Email: Email is the default communication method for Data Services. Please be attentive to your inbox throughout this process. You'll receive emails with detailed information throughout the process. Even if you speak directly with a member of the Data Services team, most details are covered or reiterated in emails sent to you. Each email from this team will include your case number.
- Message your assigned Data Services agent directly through your online case notes. The QuickBooks Data Services team works different hours than your standard care team. Your assigned agent won't necessarily be working the Data Services support hours listed above, so please allow 1 business day for replies.
- Chat with a member of the Data Services team: These team members can help general tasks like pin resets. They can also review your case notes with you or help you schedule a callback from an assigned agent.
Note: QuickBooks Data Services has different support hours (Mon-Fri, 6 am to 6 pm, PT) than regular QuickBooks support. Please allow 24 hours for a reply.
How do I check the status of my case?
If you have an active QuickBooks Data Services case and are curious to know when you can expect it back, your case details are available on the Data Services Customer Status Information (currently available only in English) page.
What does my case status really mean?
- Assigned: The case has been assigned to a Data Services agent and a quoted completion date is provided.
- Waiting on files/invites/permissions: The Data Services team is missing a piece of information from you (ie. a file, permissions, invites, etc). Please check your inbox or chat with the Data Services team to find out what information you need to provide so they can get started.
- In process: The case is actively being worked on and/or the Data Services team is validating the fixes they made to your file.
- File uploaded: The file has been fixed with Data Services' tools and has been uploaded for you to download.
- Resolved: You have confirmed to the Data Services team that the issue with your company file has been resolved or Data Services has fixed the file but received no response from you in 3 business days.
- Cancelled: The case has been cancelled by you or Data Services has not received the files necessary to assign your case to a representative.
- Additional research required: We have identified a complex issue in your request and it has been escalated to a higher level of the Data Services team to see if the issue can be identified and fixed. This may delay the completion date.
- Unrecoverable: The Data Services team has determined that there is no known solution for the issues you're experiencing. A backup must be restored.
I've just started my QuickBooks Data Services case, now what?
When you reported your issue to QuickBooks support, they should have set expectations for the Data Services process and provided some action items you'll need to take. Your case cannot get assigned to the Data Services team until all of those action items are done.
Here's a quick summary of those action items.
For cases involving a QuickBooks Desktop product
- Your company file must be uploaded to the appropriate website.
- If you are converting a 3rd party software to QuickBooks Desktop, you must provide the password for your company file from the 3rd party software.
For cases involving QuickBooks Online
- We need permission. The link to provide permission to your case is located in the Welcome Email you received. The subject line will include your case number and the sender will be email@example.com.
- You need to add Data Services as an admin user in your QuickBooks Online account.
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Manage Users.
- Select New.
- Select Company Administrator, then Next.
- Enter firstname.lastname@example.org then select Next and then Finish.Note: Simple Start users need to invite email@example.com as an accountant.
- Select the Gear icon, then Manage Users.
- Go to the Accountants tab.
- Enter firstname.lastname@example.org, then select Invite.
- If you are converting a 3rd party software to QuickBooks Online, you must provide the password for your company file from the 3rd party software.
For cases involving both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online
- All of the above
Note: It's important to complete these action items as soon as possible to avoid delays. New data services cases are reviewed hourly. If action items are pending, there's a possibility your case will miss an entire day of Data Services work.
How do I upload or download my files?
Where do I upload?
- .QBW - Company file
- .QBB - Backup file
- .QBA - Accountant's Copy file
- .QBM - Portable Company file
- .qb20xx, .dmg, .QBBMac
- .qpb or .db
- Desktop Software: A backup or working file for the software you are using including the password on a text document (if applicable).
- Cloud Software: If you can't invite us as a user to your account, then we'll need the login credentials for access to your company.
- Create a portable company file (currently available only in English) to upload.
- Snail mail. Send a copy of your data file on a USB drive to one of the following Intuit locations.
- If you had it installed and registered QuickBooks on a previous system, you can reinstate QuickBooks on your new computer with the original license and product numbers.
- You can use a trial version of QuickBooks Desktop (currently available only in English) to open your company file.
What type of file can I upload?
Your Current Software File Type Extension QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier/Enterprise QuickBooks Desktop for Mac QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 3rd party software that you are converting to QuickBooks
Can I upload multiple files?
You can upload multiple files to the case ID. They just have to be uploaded one at a time.
What if my file is too large to be uploaded?
Sometimes files can get pretty big. No worries, we have a few options for you.
Note: Please include a prepaid / self addressed envelope with your drive if you wish to have it mailed back after your case is completed.
Intuit UK Data ServicesC/O UK Care Case #1 Cathedral Piazza, VictoriaLondon, SW1E 5BP
What if I have a QuickBooks Desktop file, but no longer have the software?
As long as you have a backup copy of your company file, you can use either of the options below to access your data:
Can I transfer my data from 3rd party software to an Intuit product?
If you are currently using a 3rd party software and want to give Intuit products a try, see below to find out what your options are and what to expect from the transfer process.
Can I transfer my QuickBooks Desktop data to or from QuickBooks Online?
There are a number of reasons you want to move your data, going to the cloud, backing up online data to a local drive, all sorts of things.
How is my business data protected?
As long as you use the online form to upload your data to us, it will be protected using the industry standard SSL encryption. Data is removed from our servers promptly after you have uploaded, and we store a copy on our local servers during conversion.Post conversion we move your data to a secure offline storage where it is encrypted. It is best practice to also suggest you have a password on your source data file.
How much does this service cost?
See the QuickBooks Data Services price list (currently available only in English)