Learn how to restore a backup of your company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
Do you need to restore a backup of your company file? We show you how.
|Note: Once you convert a company file to a later version of QuickBooks, you cannot open it in any earlier version. If you want to use your previous QuickBooks version, you can restore a backup file you created using that version.|
Restore a backup company file
- From the File menu, select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Restore a backup copy and select Next.
- Choose Local Backup and then select Next.
- From the Look In drop-down, choose the location of the backup file.
- Select the backup file from the folder. The file name should appear as [Company Name].qbb.
- Select Open and then select Next.
- From the Save in drop-down, choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
- In the File name field, type a new file name. (Note: The Save as type field will automatically populate QuickBooks Files (*.QBW).
- Select Save.
- Carefully read and respond to any messages that appear before restoration begins. Select No if, at any time, you receive one of the following messages:
- [Filename].qbw already exists. Do you wish to replace it?
- You are choosing to overwrite an existing company file. Are you sure?
If you select Yes, your restored file will overwrite the existing file. To avoid overwriting it, enter a temporary filename with a .qbw extension in the file name field. When you are certain the restored file is working properly and contains the correct data, you can rename the restored file to the original file name which will safely overwrite the original .qbw file.