Find out the system requirements for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
Before you install QuickBooks, make sure that you have the required operating system, hardware, and software to get the best experience.
- Windows 10, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed1
- Windows 8.1 (Update 1) all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 7 SP1 all editions including 64-bit, natively installed (only supported until January 2020)
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2011
Important: Windows Server 2011 is only supported with QuickBooks Desktop 2017 R4(and above) and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 17.0 R4 (and above).
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (only supported until January 2020)
- Windows: Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2011, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows 10, Windows 8.1 (update 1) or Windows 7 SP1 (Enterprise and Professional editions only), natively installed (only supported until January 2020).
Important: Windows Server 2011 is only supported with QuickBooks Desktop 2017 R4 and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 17.0 R4.
- Linux: When using QBES Database Server-only installation – OpenSuse 42.1, Fedora 23, Red Hat 7 (Update 2)
1Natively installed means that it doesn't need to run in a virtual environment or emulation.
|RAM||4GB minimum, 8GB Recommended
Server RAM Requirements
|Optical Drive||4X DVD-ROM drive required for CD installations (unless QuickBooks is downloaded from Intuit server)|
Note: Internet access is required
You can integrate QuickBooks with hundreds of other apps. Here’s a list of the most common apps you can use. To find more, go to the Intuit App Store.
- Microsoft Office:
- Office 2016 (including Outlook 2016) both on 32 and 64-bit
- Office 2010 and Office 2013/365 (including Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013) both on 32 and 64 bit.
Note: We don’t support the web version of Office 365
- Preparing letters requires Microsoft Word 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365.
- Exporting reports requires Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365.
- Contact Synchronisation with Microsoft Outlook requires Outlook 2010, or 2016.
- Synchronisation with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook (the download is available at no charge). Contact Sync does not work with the Microsoft Business Contact Manager Outlook plug-in. Syncing could cause duplicate records.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale V12.0 and V11.0 (applies to the US only)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Business Planner, Payroll and viewing forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or later.
- Payroll and other online features and services requires Internet access with at least a 56 Kbps connection speed (DSL or cable modem recommended).
- TurboTax 2015 and 2014 (Personal and Business)
- Lacerte 2015 and 2014 (applies to the US only)
- Pro-Series tax years 2015 and 2014 (applies to the US only)
- QuickBooks for Mac 2016 (applies to the US only)
- Gmail, Yahoo Email, Windows Mail, Hotmail and AOL (i.e Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client)
- Internet Explorer 11
We tested QuickBooks Pro/Premier 2017 and Enterprise 17.0 with the following firewall and antivirus products. In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust settings in these products to ensure the best possible performance with QuickBooks.
Note: QuickBooks will work with systems running RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) but this is not recommended because it may cause QuickBooks to operate slowly.
- Windows Server Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 7 Firewall (all editions)
- Microsoft Security Essentials