Learn how to turn on and use account numbers for your chart of accounts in QuickBooks Online.
As your business grows, so does the list of accounts you use to categorise finances. If you have an extensive chart of accounts, don't worry. You can keep your accounts organised and easy to find by assigning numbers. We’ll show you how.
Step 1: Turn on account numbers
The account numbers feature is off by default. Here’s how to turn it on.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select Advanced.
- Select Edit ✏️ in the Chart of accounts section.
- Select Enable account numbers. If you want the account numbers to show on reports and transactions, select Show account numbers.
- Select Save and then Done.
Step 2: Assign account numbers
Unsure how to number your accounts? Go to “Which account numbers should I use?” section below to get tips.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and Chart of Accounts.
- Select Batch edit ✏️ above the ACTION column.
- Add the account numbers in the NUMBER column.
- Once you’re done, select Save.
- To see your accounts’ numbers in the Chart of Accounts tab, select Settings ⚙ above the ACTION column. Then, select Number.
Now you can spend less time looking for specific accounts in Chart of Accounts or when adding transactions. Quickly find accounts using the numbers you assigned to them.
Which account numbers should I use?
You can assign any numbers to your accounts. But if you’re looking for recommendations, these account number ranges might help. These ranges are based on account types and follow generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
|Number range||Account type|
|40000-49999||Income or Revenue|
|50000-59999||Job Costs or Cost of Goods Sold|
|60000-69999||Expenses or Overhead Costs|
Learn more ways to organise your accounts
Here are more ways to keep your chart of accounts organised: