Learn how to import journal entries in QuickBooks Online.
With QuickBooks Online’s import feature, you can easily import journal entries. We’ll show you how using a CSV or Excel file.
Note: Turn off account numbers before you begin importing your journal entries. This will ensure a smooth import. The account numbers can be turned back on once your import is complete.
Step 1: Prep your spreadsheet
Before you import your journal entries, make sure everything looks correct in your spreadsheet.
- Make sure that your file includes following information (at least):
- Journal No
- Journal Date
- Journal Code
- Account Name
- Select date format
If your spreadsheet has new accounts, be sure to add them in your chart of accounts before importing.
Step 2: Import your journal entries
Note: You can turn on class tracking to import journal entries with classes.
- Go to Settings ⚙️, then select Import Data.
- Select Journal Entries.
- On the Download page, select Browse. Note: If you need help formatting your journal entries, select Download a sample file.
- Find and select your CSV or Excel file. Select Open, then Next.
- Map your information. Your Field represents the headers on your spreadsheet. From each small arrow ▼ icon, select the one that matches a field in QuickBooks Online.
- Select Next. If there’s an error, edit the file and try again.
- Select Start import.
- Select Done.
Once you’re done, you can use the search function to check and edit the journal entries.