From April 2019, all eligible UK VAT-registered businesses will have to keep their financial records in a digital form and submit their VAT returns using approved software. Find out whether you are eligible here.
This article is for small businesses that are eligible for Making Tax Digital (MTD) or signed up for MTD voluntarily.
If you would like to use the bridging software provided by Intuit to submit a VAT return digitally through MTD you will need an active Quickbooks Online subscription.
Before you submit your return through the bridging software you will need to authorise QuickBooks to interact with HMRC.
Once you have completed the above steps you can now proceed to file a VAT return through our bridging software. Watch this video to learn how.
You can also follow the steps below:
- Go to Taxes, then select VAT.
- Select the ▼ drop-down arrow next to Prepare return and select Submit with a spreadsheet.
- On the Submit with bridging software page, verify your client's VAT number and VAT period you've selected. If all the information is correct, select Browse, then select the CSV file containing your client's VAT information, and then select Next.
- If your CSV file has multiple sheets, you need to specify the sheet that contains the transactions that make up your VAT return.
- Once you have selected the sheet required you need to enter the first cell from your CSV file, which in most cases is box 1 of your return. Update the cell as appropriate if this is not the case. Once you have entered the correct cell, QuickBooks will automatically populate the relevant data from your CSV file.
- Check the fields populated in QuickBooks Online. If the numbers match, select Review return to proceed.
- On the next page, select I declare the information is true and complete, then select Submit to HMRC.
- QuickBooks Online will now attempt to connect to HMRC and submit your VAT return. During this time, the screen below will be displayed. It can take a few seconds for the submission to go through: do not close your browser while this is happening.
- Once the submission is successful, a confirmation message below is displayed. Select Done to return to the VAT centre.
- The status of your return has now changed to Accepted.
*QuickBooks MTD software currently supports Standard, Cash, and Flat Rate schemes, and annual submission. QuickBooks Online Bridging Software supports Standard and Cash schemes. Businesses whose home currency is not GBP are currently not supported for MTD.