Learn how to automatically send reminders to customers when their invoices are or soon to be overdue.
There's an easy way to gently remind customers about invoice due dates. In QuickBooks Online, you can set up automatic reminders that go out a few days before or after the due date. No need to track the dates yourself or worry about sending too many reminders. And you can personalise the email message so it matches your business.
Set up automatic invoice reminders
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select the Sales tab.
- In the Reminders section, select Edit ✏️.
- Turn on Auto invoice reminder.
- Set your first reminder. Select or enter the date you want to send reminders.
Note: You can schedule and send email reminders up to 90 days before or after the invoice due date.
- Select Create reminder to create second and third reminders as needed.
Next, craft your message:
Note: You can create different email reminder templates for each reminder schedule.
- Edit the email subject line as needed. Tip: We recommend you keep "reminder" in the subject.
- Select the Use greeting checkbox to personalise your greeting. Select a greeting from the dropdowns.
- Clear the message text and craft your own. Or you can use the default message.
- If you want to get a confirmation when reminders go out, select the Email me a copy checkbox.
- When you're done, select Save and then Done.
QuickBooks checks the due dates on your invoices a few times a day. If any meet your criteria, it automatically sends reminders. You can't exclude specific customers.
QuickBooks uses this as a template for all invoice reminders. When you create an invoice, the due date on the form starts the clock. Make sure you include an email address in the Customer email field on invoices.
|Tip: Want reminders to include PDF copies of invoices? Go back to the Sales tab in Account and settings. Select Edit ✏️ icon in the Online delivery section and turn on the option.|
See who got a reminder
If you want to see which customers got reminders, go to the Sales menu. QuickBooks adds "(Reminded)" to invoices in the Status column after it sends a reminder.
Send invoice reminders manually
Instead of automatic reminders, you can also send them manually.
- Select the Sales menu, then Invoices.
- Find the invoice you'd like to send a reminder for.
- From the Receive Payment dropdown, select Send reminder.
- Customise your message and select Send.