Learn to create a cash account to record and track the balance of gift certificates in QuickBooks Online.
- Select the Create (+) icon at the top, then choose Cheque or Expense depending on how you paid for the certificate.
- From the Payee drop-down, select the supplier who issued the certificate.
- From the Bank account (cheque) or Payment account (expense) drop-down, select the account used to purchase the gift certificate (current, card, petty cash, etc.).
- In the Category details section, select the Category drop-down to select the gift certificate account for this supplier. If you don’t have an account for this supplier yet, add one by following these steps:
- Select Add New.
- Set the Account Type to Bank and detail type to Cash on hand.
- Give the account a name specific to the supplier and its status as a gift certificate account. Example: Joe's Hardware - Gift Card.
- Enter 0 in the Balance field. The balance is established when the expense is saved.
- Select Save and Close.
- Enter the amount of the gift certificate
- Select Save.
Note: This records the certificate with its initial value as the balance of the cash account. You can check the account balance in the Chart of Accounts or the Balance Sheet at any time to see the certificate's current balance.
You can use a gift certificate to buy products or services from the same supplier.