Learn what to do if you can't accept an invite to be an accountant user.
Clients can invite you to be an accountant user in QuickBooks Online. We know you're eager to work with them, so here are some quick fixes for issues like these:
- The button or page to accept the invite doesn't respond
- You see a place to create an account instead of a sign in
- Your password doesn't work
Step 1: Check the account you're using
If you already use QuickBooks Online Accountant, the invitation your client sent should take you to a sign-in page. If it takes you to create an account instead, here's what to do:
- Look for the section that says "Already have an account? Sign in."
- Select Sign in, and be sure to use the email or user ID that you use for your firm. Note: If you have other accounts, or other windows and tabs open on Intuit websites, you might need to sign out of them first.
- If you can't sign in, go to Sign in and select "I forgot my user ID or password" below the sign-in section.
Step 2: Check your browser
If something's still not working, it could be your browser causing the issue. Here's what to do:
- Go to the email you got inviting you to be an accountant user.
- Right-click the Accept Invitation link, and select Copy Link Address.
- Open the browser you use for QuickBooks Online.
- Go to the File menu and select New Incognito Window or New Private Window.
- Right-click the address field, then select Paste. This pastes the invite link you copied from the email.
- Press Enter. The link should take you to a sign-in page. Sign in with your user ID for QuickBooks Online Accountant.
Step 3: Recreate the invite
Invites expire after 48 hours. If yours expired, have your client use these steps to recreate it.
Note: Make sure your client doesn’t resend the invite if it expired. Have them recreate it with these steps instead.
What your client needs to do
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online as the master admin or owner.
- Go to the Settings ⚙️ icon and select Manage Users.
- Select Accounting firms, then find your accountant user's name.
- In the Action column, select the small arrow ▼ icon next to Delete. Then, select Delete from the menu that appears. If you see the email listed more than once, be sure to delete the duplicates too.
- Select Invite.
- Add your accountant's email address and name, then select Save.
- Sign out of QuickBooks Online.
What you need to do
- Go to your email and accept the invite.
- Sign in with your QuickBooks Online Accountant user ID and password.
- If you have any issues, repeat the steps earlier in this article to check your account or your browser.
You should now see your client on your client list and be able to access their books.