A payslip is generated for each employee every time you run payroll. You must give your employees a payslip on or before their pay date. Payslips must show the employees’ earnings before and after deductions, taxes and other contributions.
You can decide whether you want to print the payslip and mail or hand your employees a printed copy, or email their payslip to them.
You can safely send payslips to your employees via email. For security reasons, payslips are password-protected when emailed. Make sure you let your employees know that they will need to enter their unique password to open the document. The password is eight characters, and made up of the following.
- First 4 letters of the employee’s surname (lowercase). If it's shorter than 4 letters use the complete surname.
- First 4 characters of the NI number (lowercase). If the NI number is not there, then the employee’s birth year is used instead.
If the employee’s surname is Smith and their NI number is AB234455C, then their password would be smitab23. For surnames less than 4 letters, for example their surname is Or and their NI number is AB345678C, the their password would be orab34.
Note: If the password doesn't work for an employee, double check that their surname and NI number and correctly set up in the employee's settings.
View and print payslips
You can view all the payslips after you run payroll, or you can view all the payslips for any employee at a later time. You can print the payslips to hand to your employees or email them after you run payroll, as long as you hand it to them on or before the date you pay them.
To view and print all payslips from a payroll run
- Review and run your payroll.
- On the Payroll created page, click Go to Payslips.
- Select the employee whose payslip you want to view.
- Select Download Payslip.
- Choose your print settings, then select Print, or download the payslip to your computer.
To view, email & print an employee’s payslips
- Go to Employees or Payroll menu.
- From the list of employees, select the employee whose payslip you want to view.
- Select Payslips to view all the payslips for the employee.
You can see the Pay date, Pay period and Net pay at a glance.
- Select a payslip and it will open a card on the right hand side.
- Select Email Payslip if you want to send or resend the payslip.
- Select Download Payslip if you want to print the payslip or download it to your computer.
Email payslips to employees
You can email the payslips to all the employees you paid right after you run payroll. Payslips should be emailed to your employees on or before the date you pay them. To email payslips:
- Review and run payroll.
- On Payroll created page, click Go to Payslips.
- Make sure that all the listed employees have an email address. If an employee has not email address set up, you can add it in employee's setting.
- Select Send Payslips. You can always come back to the pay run and send payslips as many times as you need.
For security reasons, payslips emailed from QuickBooks Online are encrypted and password-protected. Make sure to provide employees with the password so that they can view their payslip. Provide the password in a separate email or communicate it in some other way. See Payslip passwords for how payslip passwords are formatted.
Save time with QuickBooks Workforce
Want to save time on employee admin? QuickBooks Workforce is the secure employee self-service portal where your employees can access their payslips from anywhere, at anytime.
All you have to do is invite your employees via email so they can create an account. Learn how to set up QuickBooks Workforce here.