A payslip is generated for each employee every time you run payroll. You must give your employees a payslip on or before their pay date. Payslips must show the employees’ earnings before and after deductions, taxes and other contributions.
You can decide whether you want to print the payslip and mail or hand your employees a printed copy, or email their payslip to them.
You can safely send payslips to your employees via email. For security reasons, payslips are password-protected when emailed. Make sure you let your employees know that they will need to enter their unique password to open the document. The password is eight characters, and made up of the following.
- First 4 letters of the employee’s surname (lowercase)
- First 4 characters of the NI number (lowercase). If the NI number is not there, then the employee’s birth year is used instead.
Example: If the employee’s last name is Smith and her NI number is AB234455C , then her password would be smitab23 .
View and print payslips
You can view all the payslips after you run payroll, or you can view all the payslips for any employee at a later time. You can print the payslips to hand to your employees or email them after you run payroll, as long as you hand it to them on or before the date you pay them.
To view and print all payslips from a payroll run
- Review and run your payroll.
- From the confirmation message, select the pay amount next to the employee whose payslip you want to view. The payslip opens as a PDF document.
- Select the Print icon.
- Choose your print settings, then select Print.
To view, email & print an employee’s payslips
- Go to the Employees or Payroll menu.
- From the list of employees, select the employee whose payslip you want to view.
- Select Payslips to view all the payslips for the employee. You can see the Pay date, Pay period and Net pay at a glance.
- Select a payslip and it will open a card on the right hand side.
- Select Email Payslip if you want to send or re-send the payslip.
- Select Download Payslip if you want to print the payslip.
Email payslips to employees
Now that you’ve already run payroll, you can email the payslips to the employees you’ve paid. You can email the payslips to all the employees you paid right after you run payroll. Payslips should be emailed to your employees on or before the date you pay them.
For security reasons, payslips emailed from QuickBooks Online are encrypted and password-protected. Make sure to provide employees with the password so that they can view their payslip. Provide the password in a separate email or communicate it in some other way. See Payslip passwords for how payslip passwords are formatted.
To email the payslip after a payroll run
- Review and run payroll.
- On the confirmation message, select select Get payslips. Then select Send Payslips to send payslips to all the employees you paid . If an employee’s email is not listed, then go to the employee’s profile and add the email where you want to send payslips. See Add employees in QuickBooks Online Standard Payroll
At any time, you may need to resend a payslip by email. This can be completed in the Employee Profile > Payslips > Email Payslip. A pop up will confirm when the email has been sent.