In QuickBooks Online Standard Payroll, you can have multiple pay schedules for your employees. You have the choice of selecting between weekly and monthly pay schedules.
What's an employee pay schedule we hear you ask? An employee's pay schedule describes the frequency of when they will get paid. If an employer wants to pay employees at different frequencies, then they will need to set up a pay schedule for each of their employees.
For example, the owner of a cafe wants to:
- Pay their front of house every week and
- Pay their back office staff every month
Note: If an employee has been paid on an existing pay schedule, you cannot change their pay frequency schedule.
How to setup different pay schedules:
- Go to Employees or Payroll menu, and select an employee.
- In the Pay schedule section select the pencil icon, then Add a pay schedule.
- Select the pay frequency (monthly or weekly).
- Select the next pay date of the employee in QuickBooks.
- Choose the days you are paying your employees for.
- Click Save pay schedule to save your changes.
When you are running payroll, the next payroll box will let you know which pay schedule frequency is due.
Note: Each pay schedule will only include employees assigned to that particular pay schedule. If you notice an employee is missing from the list, go to the employee's settings and verify if they are assigned to the correct pay schedule.
When you select Run Payroll, you will have all pay schedules frequencies displayed.