The P32 Report details all payments owing and already paid to HMRC on a per month basis within a financial tax year.
This report can be accessed via the Payroll Settings > Reports > HMRC Reporting.
The report can filtered on a per financial year basis.
Note: if a user attempts to generate this report whilst a pay run is unfinalised, the following warning message will appear: There are unfinalised pay runs that may affect this report.
When the report is generated, you will note the appearance of 3 tabs. The first tab displays all the relevant data in summary format:
An explanation of each header is as follows:
- Tax Month: The tax month runs from the 6th of the month to the 5th of the next month. For eg, with April, this covers all pay runs with a pay date from April 6th to May 5th.
- PAYE: All PAYE, excluding student loan amounts, deducted from employee pays for the pay runs falling within the Tax Month.
- Student Loans: All student loan amounts deducted from employee pays for the pay runs falling within the Tax Month.
- Net CIS Deductions: Construction Industry Scheme - CIS. This is the net tax deducted by the contractors from subcontractors' payments which is to be paid to HMRC
- Total PAYE: The sum of PAYE and Student Loans for the Tax Month.
- Employer NI: All employer national insurance contribution amounts calculated for the pay runs falling within the Tax Month.
- Employee NI: All employee national insurance contribution amounts deducted from employee pays for the pay runs falling within the Tax Month.
- NI Deductions: The total statutory payments relating to Maternity Pay, Paternity Pay, Adoption Pay and Shared Parental Pay processed in pay runs for the Tax Month. The second tab "NI Deductions Summary" details a breakdown of these payments.
- Emp Allowance: If the business is claiming an Employment Allowance, the amount will appear in this column. The allowance amount will be deducted (only from the Employer NI amount) up to a maximum £3000 for the tax year.
- Total NI: The sum of Employee NI + (Employer NI - NI Deductions - Emp Allowance).
- Apprenticeship Levy: The amount that you have paid for the Apprenticeship Levy.
- Advance Funding: Enter the amount you have paid manually here.
- HMRC Payments: Enter the total amount of payments you have actually paid to HMRC in this box to keep track of payments to HMRC.
- Total Due: The sum of Total PAYE and Total NI.
- Total Paid: Any payments made to HMRC can be recorded here. This is a manual entry and must be updated each time an amount is paid to HMRC. Instructions on how to do this are further below.
- Balance: The difference between Total Due and Total Paid. N.B. This amount is cumulative for the whole tax year.
The second tab breaks down the NI Deductions into each separate statutory component. Furthermore, the amounts are automatically classified within the Recovered and NIC compensation columns based on whether the business is eligible for small employers relief and has accordingly configured this in their HMRC settings.
You can enter CIS deductions made and suffered in the CIS tab. The Net CIS deductions are also displayed in the CIS tab of this report. You can view them in the tax month and also quarterly and for the financial year.
HMRC payments, Advance Funding and CIS payments can be recorded manually from the P32 report screen on the P32 tab and the CIS tab. To do this, click on the fields and fill in the values.
Configuring Employment Allowance and/or Small Employers Relief
Both of these settings are switched off by default. If, however, the business is eligible for either go to Payroll Settings > HMRC Settings. From this screen you will see the following settings:
Click on the appropriate "Yes" radio button and then click on "Save".
This report can be exported to PDF and is also available via Report Packs.