Automated Nest Submission in QuickBooks Online Standard Payroll is becoming available. To check if you have this feature yet, please go to Settings, Account & Settings, Payroll.
When you have your workplace pensions set up in QuickBooks, and all your enrolled employees have been registered with Nest, you'll be good to go!
You can set this feature to automatically send contribution submissions to Nest each time a payroll run is completed.
- Navigate to Settings, Account & Company Settings and select Payroll.
- Next, select Pension Submission with Nest and click to Edit.
- Enter your Nest Username and Password, then check Save username and password, next check the option for Submit automatically to Nest and Save.
- Finally, before you close Account & Settings, please check your Nest Provider reference in the Pensions Scheme section is present and formatted correctly. This is submitted to Nest and is case sensitive.
When payroll is completed you will see one of 2 views. QuickBooks will either confirm a submission completed or that it needs to be completed with the option to complete. Below shows a submission was completed.
NOTE: You will still be required to log into the Nest platform to approve the direct debit payment as normal.
There is also the option to turn this feature off. To turn auto submission to Nest off, select Turn off pension automation.
NOTE: Newly enrolled employees still need to be submitted in the usual way to Nest, outside QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Online will not submit new employee details to Nest.
Nest submission requirements
As well as ensuring your Nest Provider Reference is correct, the following information should match that recorded with Nest.
- Employee NI numbers.
- First & Last Names.
- Employee Payroll IDs.
- Payroll schedules will need to match. If you pay your enrolled employees on a monthly basis, Nest should have your payroll schedule as monthly and not weekly.
- Your contribution amounts in Nest will need to exactly match the amounts you have configured in your Payroll software.
Troubleshooting error messages
From time to time you may see a message designed to indicate a submission requires more attention and why, or why it will not be completed. Below are some examples. For more information and all Nest submission-related messaging, please refer to the Nest error help page.
- The employer reference that you provided doesn't match a valid employer on the system. Please check that the pension employer reference configured in Payroll matches your Nest Employer Reference and then try to re-process your submission.
- One or more contributions you've entered for this member are less than the minimum you've agreed to pay for them. Please check that the pensionable earnings and contributions you've entered match the group this member belongs to.
- One or more contributions you've entered for this member are more than the maximum you've agreed to pay for them. Please check that the pensionable earnings and contributions you've entered match the group this member belongs to.
- You've already submitted contributions for the member in this schedule.
- Unable to match pension submission to a valid schedule in the pension provider.
Frequently asked questions
After submitting to Nest, the submission is taking a while to complete on the history page, can I navigate away while this completes?
This is normal and you can navigate away and move onto your next task.
What happens if I roll back/delete a payroll run and then recreate that payroll run?
Like the FPS submission, you would need to resend Nest submissions for any deleted/re-run payroll periods.
Can I turn off automatic Nest submissions?
Yes. Go to Settings, Accounts & Settings, Payroll, navigate to Pension Submission with Nest, select edit and check Turn off pension automation.
Can I still see all my Pensions reports?
Yes, even when submitting contributions to Nest automatically, you will still be able to view all pensions reports as you could previously.
Where can I get more help on Nest pensions submission errors?
As we as the example above, for more information and all Nest submission-related messaging, please refer to the Nest error help page.