Find out what your computer needs to run the best QuickBooks Desktop experience.
Get the best experience in QuickBooks. Here’s helpful info about the operating system, hardware, software, and other requirements to run QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks Pro or Premier 2018
|Are you using Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008?
Microsoft no longer provides security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. For your data’s security, we recommend upgrading your operating system to a supported version before installing QuickBooks.
- Windows 10, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 8.1 (Update 1) all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Small Business Server 2011, Standard and Essentials
Note: QuickBooks requires you to use Windows natively and not through an emulator or virtual environment.
|Windows (natively installed)||
|Linux (when using QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Database Server-only installation)||
Internet Explorer 11 (32-bit)
|Processor||2.4 GHz minimum|
|RAM||4GB minimum, 8GB Recommended
Server RAM Requirements
|Optical Drive||4X DVD-ROM drive required for CD installations (unless QuickBooks is downloaded from Intuit server).|
Note: Internet access is required.
You can integrate QuickBooks with hundreds of other apps. Here’s a list of the most common apps you can use. To find more, go to the Intuit App Store.
Note: Additional RAM can enhance the use of these features.
- Microsoft Office:
- Office 2016 (including Outlook 2016) both on 32 and 64-bit.
- Office 2010 and Office 2013 and 365 (including Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013) both on 32 and 64-bit.
Note: Office 365 is only supported when it is locally installed, not the web version.
- Email estimates, invoices, and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2010-2016, Microsoft Outlook with Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Outlook.com, other SMTP-supporting email clients.
- Preparing letters requires Microsoft Word 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Exporting reports requires Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Contact Synchronisation with Microsoft Outlook requires Outlook 2010 (32-bit).
- Synchronisation with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook (the download is available at no charge).
Note: Contact Sync does not work with the Microsoft Business Contact Manager Outlook plug-in. Syncing could cause duplicate records.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Business Planner, Payroll, and viewing forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or later.
- Payroll and other online features and services require Internet access with at least a 56 Kbps connection speed (1 Mbps recommended). DSL or cable modem is recommended.
- Gmail, Yahoo Email, Windows Mail, Hotmail and AOL (i.e Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client which supports plain text version)
- Internet Explorer 11
We tested QuickBooks Pro and Premier 2018 with the following firewall and antivirus programs.
In some cases, you may need to adjust some settings in these programs to get the best possible QuickBooks performance.
- Windows Server Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 Firewall (all editions)
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- NortonLifeLock (formerly Symantec)
Note: QuickBooks will work with systems running RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) but this is not recommended because it may cause QuickBooks to operate slowly.
QuickBooks Desktop 2018 requires internet security protocol TLS 1.2 for the connected services to work smoothly.