This app allows small businesses to easily accept payments from their customers through Direct Debit. You enjoy the advantages of Direct Debit (pricing is available here control over your cash flow (you decide when to collect payments from your customers), and automatic recurring payments. You can collect invoices via Direct Debit, schedule recurring invoices for Direct Debit, set up new mandates with customers, import existing mandates from GoCardless, and manage your mandates from within QuickBooks.
Intuit QuickBooks apps are add-ons that expand the functionality of QuickBooks by integrating with 3rd party apps to help save you time and improve your business processes.
Go Cardless is a new app, developed by Intuit in partnership with GoCardless, a UK-based Direct Debit provider, which allows small businesses to easily accept payments from their customers through Direct Debit in QuickBooks.
Apps can be browsed on apps.com. You can find the GoCardless for QuickBooks app by searching from the search bar.
To get started, click Get app now on the GoCardless app card or from your invitation email.
- Select Get app now.
- On the authorisation page, choose Connect.
- Enter the credentials for your GoCardless account, then select Connect account.
By logging in to your GoCardless account, you are giving permission to QuickBooks to get information from your GoCardless account. It allows QuickBooks to create payments on your GoCardless account.
Sign Up your GoCardless account to create an account if you do not already have one and then connect to QuickBooks Online.
- Payment method - Select the Payment method that will appear on the Receive Payment transaction that is created when a Direct Debit is initialised.
- Expense Category - Select the account to associate with GoCardless Fees when a deposit transaction is created that includes fees as a line item.
- Bank Account - Select the bank account (in QuickBooks) to use when a deposit transaction is created when GoCardless makes payments to you. The options available here are the accounts in your QuickBooks chart of accounts that have a bank account type. Select a bank account that matches your GoCardless payout account.
- Are you an accountant? - Click Yes if you are an accountant setting up GoCardless on behalf on your client. By selecting Yes you can continue the setup by setting up mandates, importing mandates, requesting new mandates and scheduling payments from the invoice screen.
- If you want your client to complete the next steps, you can email them a message through QuickBooks Online to let them know what you have done and what is outstanding.
- Set up your company logo in GoCardless - Your logo appears on mandate request forms. Do not worry if you do not want to do this now, you can action this at a later time.
- Add your bank details & GoCardless account and verify them - You won’t get paid until you do so.
When you have finished setting up, you will see additional menu options in QuickBooks for Direct Debit, and you can start using GoCardless to collect payments.
Managing your app settings
You can access your GoCardless app settings at any time if you need to make any changes.
To go to the Settings page:
- Go to your QuickBooks company. Select Apps from the left navigation pane.
- Choose My Apps.
- Find your GoCardless app and select Settings.
Setting up your mandates
Mandates are required before any direct debits can be collected. A mandate is an agreement between you and your customer that authorises you to collect money due from your customer’s bank using Direct Debit.
There are two ways to set up a customer with a mandate:
- Creating a new mandate
- Importing a mandate : If you already have mandates in GoCardless, you can import these mandates.
Creating a new mandate
To set up a new mandate for a QuickBooks customer:
- Go to the Customers page, click the drop-down next to a customer, and select Request Direct Debit.
Tip: Click Batch actions to select multiple customers.
You will see a preview of the email body and form that is sent to your customer for them to setup the mandate. You can edit the body of the email template before you send the mandate.
2. Click Send to send the mandate request to your customer.
Your customer will receive an email to set up a direct debit.
Your customer can click from the email to access the form where they can fill out their details and approve the mandate.
Creating the mandate from QuickBooks also creates the corresponding customer and mandate in GoCardless.
You can set up mandates in bulk by using the batch option action on the Customers page.
Importing a mandate
Another way of setting up a QuickBooks Online customer with a mandate is to import an existing mandate from GoCardless. This is available from the Direct Debit Mandates page. It is also available during first-time use.
To find the Direct Debit mandates page
- Click the company cog at the right hand side
- Click All Lists
- Click Direct Debit mandates on the left hand side
To import an existing mandate for a QuickBooks customer:
- Click Import mandates
A page showing a list of your mandates available in GoCardless that can be imported into QuickBooks appears.
- Using the drop-down, import the mandates by associating each mandate with the appropriate QuickBooks Online customer.
Some mandates are automatically matched to an existing QuickBooks customer if we find a name or email match. Once you are happy with the selected customers Click Import.
Each QuickBooks Online customer can only be associated with one mandate.
A current limitation of importing mandates is 100 mandates. If you need to enter more than 100 please contact our Customer Success team on 0808 234 5337 and we will help you import your mandates.
You can see a list of all customers who have Direct Debit mandates and the status of their mandates. Based on the status of the customer’s mandate, you can also take possible actions to resend the mandate or cancel the mandate.
To view and manage your mandates:
- Click the gear icon next to your company name and select Lists > All Lists
- Click Direct Debit Mandates.
A list of customers, who have mandates or are in the process of getting set up with mandates, along with the status of their mandates is shown.
- Depending on the status of the mandate, you can use the drop-down or the available links to perform the necessary action.
For example, you can re-set up a mandate that has been cancelled, re-send a mandate that is in the process of being set up, or cancel an existing mandate.
|Mandate state||What the status means||Available Action|
|Active||You can invoice your customer and ask them to pay using Direct Debit||View customer -> Cancel Mandate|
|Mandate request email sent; awaiting customer||End customer has been sent the mandate but they are yet to fill out to set up the mandate||Please allow 3 working days after they complete the form. The status will appear as active once it’s ready.|
|Cancelled||The mandate has been cancelled||Set up a new mandate|
You can schedule Direct Debit for a customer provided the customer has already has a Direct Debit mandate set up.
To schedule a Direct Debit payment:
- Open an invoice
- From the Choose a customer drop- down, select the customer.
- Click to select Schedule Direct Debit.
- Select the Terms of payment. This fills in the Invoice date and Due date
- Fill in the line items and other details, then Save to send later or Save and send.
Tip: For your convenience, set up a recurring payment invoice based on your payment schedule.
To schedule a recurring Direct Debit payment:
- Create the invoice as you would for a single payment.
- Click to select Schedule Direct Debit.
- Click Enable Recurring Payment at the bottom of the page.
- Fill in the line items and other details.
- Schedule the payment interval, and the start and end dates.
- Click Save template to reuse this invoice.
Note: Once you save the recurring template, your customer will be prompted to pay by direct debit next time they receive an invoice.
Reconciling with GoCardless: You create invoices, and GoCardless with QuickBooks creates Receive Payments, Deposits, and Refund Receipts. All received payments are charged to Undeposited Funds. When a payout is made in GoCardless, we create a Deposit record in QuickBooks that deposits all the Receive Payments into the paid out account. The Deposit record also contains line items, showing any applicable fees. The process is automatic, you just need to create the invoice.
Fees and expenses
Payouts from GoCardless are recorded as Deposits in QuickBooks. Fees charged by GoCardless are recorded as a line item in the same Deposit record, with the expense account that you selected in Settings. Typically, the default is GoCardless Fees.
Refunds and chargebacks
The refund process is not initiated in QuickBooks, but we handle the accounting for any refunds we see from GoCardless. If a refund or chargeback occurs and a payment has not been completed, the Received Payment is marked as Voided.
If a payment has already been paid in a deposit, we create a Refund Receipt that is attached to the next payout. Note that GoCardless deducts the refunded or charged back amount from the next payout.