Here are the things you need to know about receipt forwarding feature functionality: There are two workflows as part of Receipt Forwarding:
- Email verification (Receipt forwarding set up)
- Email must be verified (gone through MFA) to enable receipt forwarding.
- If email is verified by another means (e.g. came from TurboTax portal where email has been verified), you still need to opt into receipt forwarding.
- Actual Receipt forwarding process
- Email from which the receipt is coming must be a) verified and b) the email associated with the QBSE account. If not, you will be notified that we weren't able to process the receipt.
- After email processing, the same data extraction flow as conventional receipt capture in the app and then back to QuickBooks Self-Employed.
Setup access Points
- Dashboard (Homepage)
- Transactions page
Note: If email address was already verified, dashboard card and Transactions pop up prompt disappear but Receipt Forwarding toggle remains under Settings.
- You need to verify the email address when you opt into receipt forwarding.
- Enter the verification code received via e-mail. You have the option to resend the code.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed confirms the code.
- Once verified, instructions appear on the Receipt Forwarding screen. This includes details on how to forward receipts to us. We also allow users to opt out to email notifications when QuickBooks Self-Employed receives forwarded receipts. We will always notify users if there is an issue.
- Forward the receipt from the verified email address associated to the QuickBooks Self-Employed account.
- The system notifies you that the receipt was submitted and is currently being processed.
- By default, you are opted out of receiving anymore emails when you forward a receipt (to avoid spamming).
- The system notifies you for any errors encountered during the receipt forwarding process.
Extracting the Forwarded Receipt's data
- Each receipt is sent through our data extraction service, which extracts the following information:
- Credit/Debit card number (optional)
- This data is pushed through the QuickBooks Self-Employed account.
- If any of the required information is missing, it falls into a "Needs Action" folder and you will be notified.
How QuickBooks Self-Employed handles the forwarded receipt's information?
- If a credit/debit card number is provided, we check if you connected this credit/bank account to QuickBooks Self-Employed.
- If Yes, the receipt should match to a transaction coming from the feeds. We try to match with a transaction and if we don't find one, the receipt goes into the "Needs Action" folder to avoid creating duplicate transactions.
- If there is No credit/debit card number provided or that account isn't connected to QuickBooks Self-Employed account, we still try to match the receipt against transactions. If we find a match, we attach the receipt to the existing transaction. If we don't find one, we create a new transaction.
Can I forward receipts from multiple emails?
No. You can only forward receipts from the verified email address that is associated to the QuickBooks Self-Employed account.
What file types are supported?
PDF and image attachments, as well as receipts that are embedded in the HTML body of the email.
Can I send multiple receipts in one email ?
Yes, you can! The number of receipts depends on the limitation on file sizes set by the email provider.