GPS is pulled from a combination of satellites, Wi-Fi and cellular data. Remember that there are a lot of factors that cannot be controlled (for example, the device’s technical capabilities, weather patterns, atmosphere and so on) and can make it difficult for a point to be pulled, or determine why a point may not be pulling. Use this article to help understand and troubleshoot possible GPS issues:
Check for the following on the mobile device if points are not pulling:
- The device should have a clear view of the sky (surrounded by various obstacles - large buildings, trees, even a bag - can hinder low-strength signals).
- The device should be a normal temperature (as with any piece of technology, overheating or freezing can affect functionality).
- The device should have power (if the battery died or the phone is powered off, location tracking stops).
- The team member should be signed into the app and on the clock (signing out of the app prevents us from communicating with it).
- The device should not be in Power Saving Mode or any low battery setting.
- The app should be open in the background (do not force close the app).
- Both the device’s Operating System and the QuickBooks Time app should be up-to-date (out of date software or app could affect functionality).
The following are device specific troubleshooting steps for both iPhone and Android:
- Turn the device off/on.
- Turn GPS/Location services off/on and ensure location for QuickBooks Time is enabled:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Settings. Ensure Location Services at the top is toggled On. Toggle off and back on again to refresh.
- Then, find the QuickBooks Time app in the list and set it to Always.
- Ensure location settings are set to Precise Location:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Settings. Find and tap QuickBooks Time in the list.
- Then, enable Precise Location.
- Turn Airplane mode on then off again to reset all wireless radios:
- Go to Settings > Toggle Airplane Mode On and then Off again.
- Disable any battery saver settings or apps:
- Go to Settings > Battery > ensure Low Power Mode is toggled off. If you have Battery saver apps, ensure the permissions are set to not include the QuickBooks Time app.
- Turn the device off/on.
- Ensure Location Services is enabled for the QuickBooks Time app:
- Go to Settings > Apps > QuickBooks Time > Permissions > Toggle Location ON.
- If it’s on, toggle it off and then back on to refresh Location Services.
- Ensure location settings are set to high accuracy:
- Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Privacy > Location > Set to High Accuracy.
- Disable any battery saver settings or apps. This will vary depending on your device. Here are some common devices:
- LG: Settings > battery & power saving > battery usage > ignore optimisations > turn ON for QuickBooks Time.
- Motorola: Battery > select the menu in the upper right-hand corner > battery optimisation > not optimised > all apps > select QuickBooks Time > don't optimise.
- Samsung: Access battery settings > app power saving > details > QuickBooks Time > disabled.
- Sony: Battery > from the menu in the upper right-hand corner > battery optimisation > apps > QuickBooks Time.