Lately been facing a strange bug with Bank register in QBO. Whenever I amend the date field for any transaction, the date will be set to Date - 1 !! ie, if I amend to say 25 Jun and click save, the date goes to 24 !! the only workaround is to click EDIT button and from their change the date or add 1 day extra to the date to get the correct date ( for 25, I change it to 26 and save and only then it will be 25 !!)
See Attached Image
Did cache clearing and all but no good, and the same bug is happening on multiple PCs
Anyone else facing the same issue.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thanks for getting touch and thank you for uploading the gif showing what's going on.
It does seem bizarre that it would be setting the date to one day prior. You mentioned you tried clearing the cache and cookies but would you be able to try accessing this on a different internet browser entirely to see if this is still having the problem. Would you also be able to confirm when you starting experiencing this issue?
The more information we can gather, the easier this will be to resolve.
Yes, did that already and on different browsers & PCs, but still same bug !! similarly, it's happening on the QBO Desktop client.
Could this be a localisation issue with the server itself aka timezone ?!
We appreciate your prompt response about what you've done on your end.
Since you've already done all the basic troubleshooting steps, I encourage you to give us a call. I've checked our system and haven't found any ongoing issues when amending the date field in the Bank register. To further check the problem, please contact us through these steps:
2. Choose your QuickBooks version.
3. Select a topic.
4. Scroll-down and select Get Phone Number, Send Email or Start a Chat.
Let me know if you have additional questions with QuickBooks. You can reach me out by clicking the Reply button below.
Appreciate the response,
This seems to be a bug of some sort that can't be tackled by chat or phone call, as it's impossible for this bug to replicate to 4 PCs (different HW, different Browsers, different OS versions.. etc) on different locations if it wasn't a server side issue.
My workaround at this time, is to pick (Date+1 Day) to get actual Date.
Thanks for getting back to us, Yousuf.
Since it's impossible for us to troubleshoot the issue, we have our Technical Support Team to further help you with this. They are skilled to get rid of the problem with the Date field. Please give us a call so that we could help you resolve the problem in a timely manner.
Please keep us posted if need anything else. Have a great day ahead.