Get answers to frequently asked questions about form 1099-MISC in QuickBooks Online.
If you paid a vendor or contractor more than $600 in a calendar year, you need to give them a 1099-MISC. Read below for some helpful tips to get started with 1099s.
Independent contractors you pay $600 or more in a year. These contractors need a 1099-MISC to show the IRS those payments are income. Read about tax forms for independent contractors on the IRS website.
If you aren’t sure if your contractor needs a W-2 or a 1099, read about the difference between W-2 employees and 1099 contractors. You can also check out our 1099 or W-2 calculator.
If you pay an independent contractor $600 or more in a year, you need to send them a 1099. You also need to file or e-file it with the IRS.
If you e-file, you need to send your 1099s by 5 PM PT on January 25. If you mail the forms yourself, you need to mail them by January 31.
When you set up a vendor, select the Track payments for 1099s checkbox.
To update a vendor’s 1099 status:
- Select Expenses and then Vendors.
- Select the vendor’s name.
- Select Edit.
- Select the Track payments for 1099 checkbox and then Save.
Tip: If you have many vendors to update, there’s a faster way to do this. Go to the Prepare 1099s page and skip to step 3 - Contractors. Select Add from Vendor list to update your entire vendor list at the same time.
There are a couple different reports you can run. Find out how to run reports of 1099 vendors and their payments.
Add the payment in QuickBooks like you usually do. Make sure you date it for the right calendar year. For more tips, see add or edit contractor payments for 1099s.
Payments you made by credit, debit, or gift card, and payment networks like PayPal are excluded. Instead, the payment companies report those payments to the IRS for you.
You can add missing vendors while you prepare your 1099s. Read add contractors or vendors when preparing 1099s for the details.
- Copy A - Mail this to or e-file with the IRS along with the 1096 summary form.
- Copy B - Mail this copy to your vendor or contractor.
- Copy C - Keep this one for your records.
- Copy 1 - Mail or e-file this with the state (where required).
It depends on the state. Find out the states where you need to file 1099s.
Whether you e-file or mail the forms yourself, you need to print a new paper form to amend a 1099.
- If you don’t have paper forms already, order 1099s from us online or over the phone at 800-829-3676.
- Fill out the 1099 and select the Corrected checkbox.
- Mail the corrected form to the IRS and your contractor.