If you deliver 1099s online, you can invite your contractors to sign into a secure online portal to access their copies instantly at no extra charge. They won’t have to wait for their printed copies to arrive in the mail. Each contractor you invite will have their own account with a separate application called QuickBooks Self-Employed.
For this to work, you need your settings changed in QuickBooks. You need permission to Add, delete, & modify users.
To get that permission, you can send this article to your QuickBooks Online company administrator and ask them to follow these steps for you.
Change a user's access rights
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Manage Users.
- Select the username whose access rights you're changing.
- At the bottom right, select Edit.
- At the top right, select Change.
- Select Next until you reach the "Set user's administrative rights" page.
- Select Add, delete, & modify users.
- Select Finish when complete.
- Select Save.
- Have the user sign out and then sign back in to see the change in access rights.
You aren’t required to deliver 1099s online. It’s perfectly OK to just e-file with the IRS and have us send printed 1099s to your contractors instead. It’s your choice.