Learn how to prepare and e-file your 1099-MISC forms with the QuickBooks Desktop 1099 Wizard.
With QuickBooks Desktop, you can use the 1099 Wizard to prepare, review, and file all the required copies of your federal and state 1099-MISC forms. It can also help you prepare form 1096 by mail if you need to.
Here's how to use the 1099 Wizard to walk through each step and be sure your vendor payments are recorded accurately.
Note: This article is for QuickBook Desktop users. If you use QuickBooks Online payroll versions, see prepare and file 1099s for steps.
Learn what you need to report
If you paid a vendor more than $600 in a year, you need to fill out a 1099-MISC form.
The IRS does not allow electronic payments to be reported on Form 1099-MISC. For example, if you paid via credit card, debit card, gift card, or PayPal payments, you don't report those on a 1099-MISC, and QuickBooks Desktop automatically excludes them. The payment companies will report those payments, so you don't have to.
How to prepare and file 1099s with QuickBooks Desktop
Most states support the Combined Federal and State Filing Program where the IRS will send your 1099-MISC form to your state for you. There are some states that you will need to file with directly and some states that don’t require a 1099-MISC form at all. Check state 1099 filing requirements for more information on how to file with your state.
Follow these steps once you know what your state filing requirements are.
- Go to Vendors and select Print/E-file 1099s.
- Choose 1099 Wizard then select Get Started. Note: If you’re filing for New Jersey or Wisconsin, you'll see a pop-up message. 1099 forms filed in these states have special rules for boxes 16 and 17.
- Select vendors that need form 1099-MISC and select Continue.
- Verify the vendor information is correct. You can edit any incorrect information by double-clicking on the section that needs updating.
- Go to the drop-down in the Apply payments to this 1099 box section. Select the account you want to link the payment to and select Continue. Note: If you see a message in red stating your settings do not match the current IRS thresholds, select Show IRS 1099-MISC filing thresholds and choose Reset to IRS Thresholds.
- Review your payment information.
- Select View Included Payments and View Excluded Payments. Then select Continue.
- Review the vendors and amounts you're going to report.
Note: If you want to see the vendors who don't meet the IRS threshold, select Summary Report.
- Choose whether to print 1099s or E-file.
If you choose to print your 1099 and 1096 forms and file by mail, you'll need pre-printed forms. You can purchase 1099 forms from Intuit.
Still have a question? Check out our 1099 frequently asked questions.