Learn answers to frequently asked questions about the QuickBooks Online Accountant price increase.
Why are we increasing prices?
As your small business evolves, we want QuickBooks to evolve with you.
QuickBooks helps small business owners like you save over $3,500 in tax savings annually1, and over 40 hours a month2 on average.
We're constantly finding new ways to make sure that QuickBooks meets your needs, and your client’s. Price increases help us reinvest to improve the features you already have and introduce new tools that let you do more in less time. Plus, you can now connect more than 650 apps to QuickBooks, so you have more ways to increase its capabilities.
To help you confidently run, manage, and grow your business, we invest in free training3. In addition, the Find-a-ProAdvisor directory, which leads more than a quarter million4 clients each year to accounting professionals like you, contributes to continued growth. Today, nearly 60% of subscribers are connected to an accounting professional through QuickBooks Online5, and we remain committed to driving more connections for you.
To learn more about our innovations, visit our QuickBooks Blog.
1Based on survey of small businesses using QuickBooks Online conducted September 20182Based on survey of small businesses using QuickBooks Online, conducted September 2018 who stated average savings compared with their prior solution.3Training offered on the web and/or mobile. Devices sold separately; data plan required. Not all trainings are available on the mobile apps and mobile browser.4Based on Intuit data as of April 2019.5Based on Intuit data for active QuickBooks Online subscribers linked to QuickBooks Online Accountant as of April 2019.
What’s new in QuickBooks?
New features to QuickBooks include:
- Track Labor Costs by Project6: You can now easily see payroll and time costs in your projects to understand your true profitability.
- Direct Bank Feeds7: We made connecting to your bank more reliable, so you can keep your transactions updated - automatically.
- Coming Soon to QuickBooks Mobile:8 Capture and automatically match receipts to expenses and much more.9
In addition, some recent QBOA features include:
- Client Overview: At-a-glance clarity into company and financial behavior, saving time on initial analysis.
- Prep for Taxes: See Profit & Loss and balance sheets all in one place to simplify the review process.
- Work Notifications: Manage your work with new assignment, update, and due date notifications in email.
- Quickstart Templates: Set up projects and tasks with pre-filled or custom Quickstart templates for consistency.
- Redesigned ProAdvisor Program: The program provides exclusive benefits and rewards
- Work tab: Create and manage client and firm projects from one tab.
For a list of new features, see our QuickBooks Product Update for Accountants page.
6Available only in QuickBooks Online Plus and QuickBooks Online Advanced7Available for select financial institutions8The QuickBooks Online mobile app works with iPhone, iPad, and Android phones and tablets. Devices sold separately; data plan required. Not all features are available on the mobile apps and mobile browser. QuickBooks Online mobile access is included with your QuickBooks Online subscription at no additional cost. Data access is subject to cellular/internet provider network availability and occasional downtime due to system and server maintenance and events beyond your control. Product registration required.9This information is intended to outline our general product direction, but represents no obligation and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.
What are the new prices?
|Product||Billing||Current Price||New Price||Effective Date|
|QuickBooks Online Essentials||Client Billing||$35/ Mo||$40/ Mo||5/6/19 - new users, 7/1/2019 - existing users|
|QuickBooks Online Essentials||Wholesale Billing||$17.50/ Mo||$20/ Mo||5/6/19 - new users, 7/1/2019 - existing users|
|QuickBooks Online Plus||Client Billing||$60/ Mo||$70/ Mo||5/6/19 - new users, 7/1/2019 - existing users|
|QuickBooks Online Plus||Wholesale Billing||$30/ Mo||$35/ Mo||5/6/19 - new users, 8/1/2019 - existing users|
When does the new pricing go into effect?
The new price takes effect on July 1, 2019 (QuickBooks Online Plus and Essentials) for existing customers and August 1, 2019 for customers on wholesale billing. Any new customers signing up on or after May 6, 2019 will be added at the new price point.
My client recently upgraded their subscription. Will they get the new pricing too?
For existing customers, the pricing takes effect for QuickBooks Online Plus and Essentials on July 1, 2019. If your client is currently on a new customer discount (e.g. 30% for 1 year), it will be applied to the new base price.
My client’s subscription was canceled and they are past the 15 day re-subscribe period. Can they get the old pricing?
Unfortunately not. They need to subscribe at the current market price.
How long until the next price increase?
Price increases are not tied to a calendar schedule. They reflect the added value QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Online Accountant brings to its customers over time through added features and product enhancements. But we do understand that you may base the cost of your services on the price of this product. We’ll continue to give you advance notice of any changes we make to your pricing. All customers impacted by a price change are notified by email and we give accountants advance notice of any price increases so you can plan accordingly.
How can I check billing details for my direct-billed clients?
- Log in to your client’s QuickBooks.
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then go to Account and Settings.
- From the left menu, select Billing & Subscription.
- Select View payment history.
- Filter by Date Range if necessary.
How can I check billing details for my wholesale clients via QuickBooks Online Accountant?
- Log in to your QuickBooks Online Accountant Firm.
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then go to Your Account.
- Within the Wholesale billing section, under QuickBooks subscription, select the link for the type of statement you need:
- To see charges for QuickBooks Online subscriptions, select View QuickBooks billing history.
- To see charges for payroll subscriptions, select the View payroll billing history.
What additional materials can I access to help me have a conversation with my clients about these changes?
We have developed some materials to aid you in informing of these price changes to your clients. Please note that Intuit will also directly notify clients who are billed by Intuit on May 15, 2019.
- Factsheet: Talking with clients about pricing changes
- Article: QuickBooks Online Greatest Hits: Innovations for Your Practice and Your Clients
- Engagement Letters: Building Solid Client Relationships Through Engagement Letters
- Video Training: Transitioning to Value Pricing (4 part series)
- The Firm of the Future: From Professional Service Firm to Professional Knowledge Firm
- Having the Value Conversation
- Pricing the Customer, Not the Services and Developing & Pricing Options
- The Pricing Journey from Fixed Price Agreements to After Action Reviews
- Workbook: Guide to Setting Customer Prices
Where can I get more details on accountant pricing and discounts across the Intuit product lines?
For the latest on pricing and discounts across the Intuit product lines, please visit this page.