Learn how to open a client's QuickBooks company file from QuickBooks Online Accountant. After a client invites you to connect, you can access their accounting data to help with their bookkeeping. You can review their books, edit transactions, and fix issues. Here's how to open a client's QuickBooks Online or Self-Employed company file from QuickBooks Online Accountant.
Note: Accountants can only access transaction data. If you also need to do administrative work for your client, follow these steps to become their primary admin.
Step 1: Connect a client's QuickBooks
If you haven't already, get invited by your client. This connects their QuickBooks company so you can access their transaction data.
To see who's already connected:
- In QuickBooks Online Accountant, go to the Clients menu.
- Review the list. Clients with a QuickBooks icon next to their name are connected.
Tip: You can select the icon to open their QuickBooks Online or Self-Employed company file.
Step 2: Open a client's QuickBooks
- In QuickBooks Online Accountant, select the Go to QuickBooks link in the toolbar.
- Select the name of your client's QuickBooks company.
This opens your client's QuickBooks Online or Self-Employed company file so can review and make edits.
Go back to QuickBooks Online Accountant
When you're finished bookkeeping:
- In the toolbar, select the dropdown with your client's company name. You used this link to open their company.
- Select Back to practice.