Learn how to correct a customer's account balance in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
Sometimes you might have a customer with an incorrect balance on their account. For example, you might see this happen if there’s a transaction from a different file that didn’t carry over. In QuickBooks Point of Sale you can’t delete transactions, so you’ll need to adjust it with a credit or refund. We’ll show you how.
Step 1: Find the sales receipt
Look at the customer's purchase history to find the incorrect sales receipt and to verify the transaction.
- Select Customer, then select Customer List.
- Find the customer, then select Show Details to see the customers purchase history.
- Check their balance, then go back to the Customer List.
- Right-click on any column header, then select Customize Columns.
- Select Account balance from the list to add it to your customer list.
Step 2: Correct the overpayment
There are two ways to correct the overpayment. You can either keep it as a store credit or issue a refund. We’ll show you how to do both.
How to issue store credit:
If you issue a store credit, the account balance of the customer will remain negative until you apply it to their future purchases. You’ll see the customer's account balance when you look them up in your customer list.
How to issue a refund:
- From the home screen, go to Make a Sale.
- Enter the customer's name.
- Select Account.
- Select Charge to Account, then enter the amount of the overpayment.
- Select the payment method you want to use to refund the customer.
- Select Save Only or Save and Print.