Learn how to record capital investments to track money going into your business.
With QuickBooks Online, you can record personal money you use to pay bills or start your business. Accountants call this a capital investment. These funds come from you as an owner, partners, or other owners.
Here's how to track adding capital, how to see the total at any time, and how to repay an investment.
Step 1: Set up an equity account
Before you can record a capital investment, you need to set up an equity account.
Step 2: Record the investment
If you’ve connected your bank account, you don’t need to record the investment. You just need to categorize the transaction associated to your deposits.
If you don't automatically import your bank transactions, you can record a deposit into your equity account instead.
- Select + New.
- Select Bank deposit.
- From the Account ▼ drop-down menu, select the bank account you're depositing the money into.
- Enter the Date you deposited the money.
- In the Add funds to this deposit section, enter the name of the investor in the Received from field.
- Select the appropriate equity account from the drop-down list in the Account field.
- Specify a Payment method.
- Enter the investment amount in the Amount field.
- Select Save and close.
Step 3: Pay back the funds from the investment
After you receive an investment and are in a place to pay it back, here's how to record it.