Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Outstanding Check or incorrect entry from prior year how to void

How do I void prior year checks that have not cashed or incorrect entries in vendors that shows uncashed checks. Example 2 checks to same vendor but 1 cashed. I need to void checks but do not want to effect prior period, quick books bal is zero in vendor but double entries are in vendor. Want to reflect voided check in vendor account. Basically how do I void uncashed checks in prior period and add to bank reconciliation and have vendor account correct? I appreciate the help!


1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Outstanding Check or incorrect entry from prior year how to void

Thank you for posting here in the Community, @sf22.


Let me guide you in voiding the uncashed check and reconcile your bank account.


Voiding a check from a prior period can change the balance in your bank. You’ll need to reconcile your bank account and enter the correct ending balance to correct this.


Here’s how you can void the checks:

  1. Open the check you need to void.
  2. Click on More on the bottom of the check.
  3. Choose Void
  4. Click on Yes on the pop-up.

Once you’ve done this, your balance will automatically be corrected.


Next, you can now enter the correct ending balance on your reconciliation. Here’s how:

  1. On the left panel, hover your mouse on Accounting, and choose Reconcile.
  2. Choose the Account you want to reconcile.
  3. Enter the Ending balance.
  4. Choose the End date.
  5. Click on Start Reconciling.

Also, I recommend seeking help from your accountant about voiding these checks. This way, he/she can give you the best advice about your bank balances.


Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any other concerns.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us
Sign in for the best experience
Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.
Sign In / Sign Up