When I go to reconcile my account, it shows an incorrect opening balance amount. I went back and printed the reconciliation report, which shows the cleared items and that amount matches my bank statement amount. How do I fix this?
So the Beginning Balance currently in QBs when you go to Reconcile is not the Ending Balance on the printed statement? And last month you did not have to put in any Adjustments to match the bank's ending balance?
By any chance did anyone make any corrections or adjustments to older items? Maybe they accidentally changed a reconciled entry or deleted one. That's a common things I've seen change the numbers. And even with the incorrect starting amount, if you start the process do you see any old/incorrect items in either column? It may show an earlier item that should have been reconciled which is throwing off the number. (Long shot, but an easy check.)
After backing up.... You can always unreconcile last month and make sure the numbers are correct for two months back.. That will tell you if the error is just in the last month or something has gone wrong in a prior month.
There were no changes. I am the only one that uses the file. The last time I reconciled, it was correct. And when I run the report, it shows the correct amount of cleared items - the total matches the bank statement. The only place this does not match is the reconciliation window. It is really odd.
I checked for updates and my software is up to date. After trying number work arounds, I just left it as is and did a journal entry for the $1100 discrepancy.
I also tried to undo the last month's reconciliation, and that did not rectify the problem. If I undid all of them now, it would be 8-9 months worth.
Seems like a software glitch to me.
That is correct, the beginning balance in the reconciliation window is not the same as the printed statement. When I go to print the reconciliation report, it total for the cleared items is what it is supposed to be and what shows on the printed bank statement..
I am the only one who works on the file.
I tried a number of work arounds with no luck. So I went ahead and reconciled everything and just did the journal entry for the 1100$ or so that it was off (?).
I tried unreconciling and it did not work. At this point, if I did that, I would have to back 8-9 months. I suspect it is a software glitch - it seems VERY glitchy with the mac.
Hi there, @jenna.
Thank you for posting and giving the complete details of the troubleshooting you've tried to resolve your incorrect opening balance amount.
Since you're still unable to correct the opening balance amount after trying the recommended solutions, I suggest contacting our phone support. They'll be able to initiate a screen sharing session to take a closer look and further isolate this issue.
Here is the link on how and when to contact them:
And of course, I’m here to help you if you have other concerns. Please also keep me posted on how the call goes. I'd like to make sure this is taken care of.
My guess is that a reconciled entry was changed or deleted somehow. (Simple click and accept in the wrong place.)
Pending how many entries you have to enter each month, you have the option of just keep unreconciling until you get to a month where the Beginning Balance matches, then just reconcile again from there. Or, as HoneyLynn_G suggested, you can contact support. Hopefully you'll only go back a month or two, but there's no way to know.